Direct Box XFMR 1:11

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
we did a low ratio active DI transformer that works well with the Country Hick circuit,

that XFMR was the UTC A-39 which gets used backwards, ratio about 1:1.8

now lets take a look at a passive DI transformer which requires more turns to get a guitar or bass signal up in level so that we can send the signal into a mixer or preamp,

this is the transformer used in the P r o C o Di, p/n DBT-1

Attachments

• dbt1.jpg
    dbt1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 38
this XFMR uses the same 24-25 EE lam as the UTC A 39,

unfortunately, newer processing techniques means that the lams are destroyed when removing,  :-[

however, they are pretty small and thus not worth nearly as much as a nickel 625 EI,

old varnish loosens up well with the heat gun but modern day epoxy stay does not,

sq stack, 18 lams, mu metal or 80 Ni or maybe even something better, (84 Ni ?)

Attachments

• dbt2.jpg
    dbt2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 43
looks like we have another bi-fi, or maybe parallel windings,

this xfmr has 2 shield, that bigger wire is the shield lead,

nice idea for a strain relief, put a couple holes in some paper and thread the leads,

Attachments

• dbt3.jpg
    dbt3.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 38
first time i have seen a sheld done this way, they had a piece of Cu going around half the coil, then some tape, then another 1/2 turn of copper on top of that with the lead soldered,

maybe the winder did not have the right length on hand or maybe it is some type of weird mojo for improving hi end response, you got me,  ???

Attachments

• dbtshield.jpg
    dbtshield.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 28
had about 500 turns undone on this sec, wire only snapped twice,  :eek:

so i said the heck with this epoxied #48, i am going to find the primary turns and multiply by 11, so i just snipped off the wire which saves me about 3 days work, flashbacks of Rafared's Langevin take-a-part, which was by far the hardest dissection i have done, 10,000 turns of #48 impregnated with a compound that resembled pitch from a pine tree, it was snap and count, snap and count,  :eek: took 2 days with a mag glass and heat gun,

Attachments

• dbt8.jpg
    dbt8.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 20
we had another shield between the sec and pri, they keep the leakage C down so as to preserve the hi end response,

not gonna get the Ansel Adams award for photography on this thread,

but hey, i'm workin cheap,  :p

first layer of pri, 500 turns,,  both pri's are hooked in parallel,

better coupling, or less leakage inductance, or however you want to say it,

this was probably a Jensen xfmr as the taping was precise and leading was great,

said i was not gonna do Sowter Lundahl or Jensen out of respect, but anybody who would wind 6000 turns of #48 to save a buck on a transformer this cheap would have to be 5150. :)  plus, it is just a job filler, something they give the girls to do in between the really important stuff like the Hardy OPT, so i do not think Bill will mind, plus, they might sub out this type of work since this is an OEM for p r o c o,

Attachments

• dbt9.jpg
    dbt9.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 23
ok here is your print just in case there are some crazies who want to wind this,

goes pri-sec-pri, 500T-5750T-500T with the 500's in parallel, #42 and #48,

it is a good box to take to a gig but not that great for recording,

you are much better off with a few fets that drive a low ratio xfmr like the country hick.

i will say that the DB-1 is pretty transparent if that is what you want,

so not a bad box to have just in case, plenty of Henries on the pri,

ok then,

Attachments

• dbtprint.jpg
    dbtprint.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts

Back