Has anyone tried these laminators?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prschmitt

I was in the neighborhood and wanted to share this little tidbit.
I happened across a pro-style dmv kinda laminator for 5 bucks and snapped it up.
It's a pertech 6000 10" and it beats the pants off my GBC Docuseal 125 (also a yard sale score).
I've attached an image (hope it takes!) so you can keep an eye out.
It's stupendously effective, as it uses hot (HOT!) plates to produce very even heat and has a pot and thermometer to dial in the temp you want. (I'm at about 370F)
I'm seeing NO feature smear with this thing, and the magazine paper I've been using just falls right off after a bit of wetting.
I'm guessing it's at least 25 years old, but they're still being made (not cheap, unfortunately) as the TLC 6000
http://www.amazon.com/TLC-6000T-Laminator-Thermometer-Laminating/dp/B0019WQ232
but well worth it if you're doing a lot of transfer. made in USA with a transferable 5 year warranty.
These things are production quality and run all day long in the places I've seen them.
Makes the transfer process effortless if you can get your hands on one!

I'm in no way associated with the company.. I just know a good tool when I see one.

Later
Pete.

Attachments

• pertech6000.JPG
    pertech6000.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 28
gyraf said:
Use for laser toner transfer onto pcb's?

Yup.
I was astounded how well it worked.
The only rollers in the unit are for feed purposes... , so there's no squishing of the toner, apparently.
The heat level can be pretty close to what you get with a fuser, I'm assuming, and the toner grabs right onto the copper without the need for much pressure.. The heating surfaces are perhaps 3 inches wide top and bottom and just glide nice and flat over the piece (they're sprung more evenly than you could manage with an iron).

You'd have to try one.

I could post a couple of pictures of the innards if anyone's really interested so you can get a feel for how it works.

Also, as I mentioned, the manufacturer is still in business, and has a smaller model that would probably work well if you don't need a 10" width.

Here's their website:
http://www.thermallaminating.com/

Your mileage may vary, etc, etc, but with  my  limited opportunity to test this guy out so far, it seems dead reliable once you've found the right temperature.

Amazon carries their products from several vendors.

Another option for that price (or perhaps even a little bit less) is a heat press designed for making t-shirts.  I got a 9" x 12" one and it's worked well so far.  The temperature is adjustable, and the amount of pressure seems to be more than adequate for clean transfers.

dfuruta said:
Another option for that price (or perhaps even a little bit less) is a heat press designed for making t-shirts.  I got a 9" x 12" one and it's worked well so far.  The temperature is adjustable, and the amount of pressure seems to be more than adequate for clean transfers.
Oooh!
Looks really keen! I can think of all kinds of uses for one of those puppies.
Does it heat from both sides?

The one I have only heats from the top.  When it's warming up I keep it closed, so both the top and bottom plates are hot when I put the board in place.

Back