trident 80B

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

about to start a recap job and rechip on a trident 80B console that sat unused for over 10 years in a studio and is the room is now being Refurbished to be used again.  It was never covered or anything. As it currently stands right now the 80B does power up and passes signal on mic and line to the stereo buss(remix) but I am noticing that none of the auxes work on any channel, input or monitor. and none of the busses work on the input channels.

I am assuming the fault with the auxes lies down in the master aux sends part of the monitor module. It does have burned, discolored traces that are not making contact all the way through. Meaning I can see where the trace is supposed to have run, it's just not passing continuity. The aux masters did have blown caps as well.  However I can use the talk back to go out the auxes and measure that at the aux sends on the patchbay. So does the talk back bypass all of that and go directly to the output at the patchbay?

As for the multitrack buss I am just stumped. I've noticed what appears to be inserts across the multi track busses. This based on the patchbay labels. Maybe it's as  simple as the normals are not working in the patchbay? hmmmmm.

Does the direct out work?
Are you doing all this testing with just one module and the centre modules plugged?  You should be.
Go through all mechanical connections in that power supply while you are recapping.
A console sleeping for 10 years needs to be woken very gently.
Mike

Console was woken as gently possible, using a variac.  Yes testing was being done with one module and center sections.

buss issue was double fault my error and owner error. Owner doesn't know how the board works and my fault for assuming he did. You know what happens when you assume? Anyway once I read through a few manual pages it all became clear as day and the multitrack busses are working just fine.  Amazing how you read a little and learn something or read a little and it opens up the file cabinet in your head where you stored the info before

Auxes are clearly a fault in the aux master sends. There are blown caps, burned out traces(all of them to earth/ground), burned resistors. So that section just needs a rebuild. Ever use a circuit writer pen. Debating if I should redraw the earth traces or connect jumper wires?

Wires.  Green wirewrap tacked with clear nail polish inna SSL stylee if you want to be picky

Actually, those PC boards are nude (tan) aren't they?  Yellow or brown then. . .

Mike

Latest posts

Back