McMurdo transformers...?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sismofyt

I have a bunch of McMurdo 1:1 transformers, black octal, same size as Altec/Peerless plugins. Sayz 'British Made' on the bottom. They sounds really luvly but I have no info. Anyone know anything about that company? Googling didn't do much..

Oh Man!
That might be some high quality chit you gots there!
Silver McMurdo founded the McMurdo Silver Corporation in 1932.
They made some of the most awesome radios in the world back then.
Hang on to that transformer!
cj

They sound nice. I can tell where I got them from though.. I stole them from a former boss who treated me like shit. Eventually I dragged his ass in court and won a lawsuit over some money :twisted: Thought I'd keep 'em as 'interest' (+ a bunch of other stuff :green: ) They were intended as plugin trannies for power amps. The amps were the UK Harrison brand. Nothing to with the cool US Harrison consoles though. They made PA/DJ gear. I don't think they exists anymore. I've spend some time searching for them. Their X-series power amps where quite popular in the 80's. I've also searched for McMurdo information but all I can dig up is ol' radios :? It's quite possible that the trannies are *another* McMurdo company, but frankly it doesn't matter much, I like them just fine, no-name as they are...

I'm not sending any to CJ either :green:

Oh, come on! Just one!
From one I can make you 100!
That is very possibly a rebranded Altec/Peerless/Triad, whatever.
People don't realize that those octal x-formers are the same thing as the flying lead versions of really good iron.
A thought before I forget:
You can bid on real cheap UTC iron on ebay and use the lams for DIY x-formers!
The unpopular models have the same iron as the expensive models.
:guinness:

[quote author="sismofyt"]I've also searched for McMurdo information but all I can dig up is ol' radios :? It's quite possible that the trannies are *another* McMurdo company[/quote]
I don't think your transformers have anything to do with the US McMurdo Silver company. I'm not sure they have anything to do with the UK McMurdo company either...

McMurdo makes tube sockets, relay sockets, octal plugs etc. So perhaps the octal plugs were made by McMurdo and the transformers by another company?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Latest posts

Back