Help wiring Illuminated Rocker Switch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazzman

Howdy all,
Apologies if this is a no brainer, but i've decided to start using illuminated rocker switches in my builds as it makes wiring up a switch + seperate LED a bit cleaner and easier.
Anyway, has anyone had any experiences using these illuminated rocker switches in their build? I simply have a 3 pole switch that I want to use as an on off switch which in turn I obviously want the switch to light up when unit is powered on and vice versa.

Problem is no matter how I seem to wire it I can't get the light to come AND the unit to power on.

Connections are as per the attached diagram i've drawn.

If I connect pole 1 (gold pin to pin 3) - the LED will come on when the switch is flicked 1 way, then if I flick the switch the other way the unit powers on - i.e. - can't get both LED and unit to power on at the same time.
If I connect pole 1 to pole 2 - no LED lights up by unit powers.

Any ideas? Am I missing anything obviously?

Thanks again

Attachments

• illuminated rocker.jpg
    illuminated rocker.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 51
ok listen carefully so you don't blow yourself up.

get an ohm meter and find the two terminals that give you zero ohms and infinite ohms when you switch the switch.

these will be your power terminals. if you get a reading of infinite ohms and maybe 1k to 10 k ohms, that is not the terminal you use for power.

after you find the 2 terminals that have zero and infinite ohms, use the remaining terminal for the light, call it the Light terminal.
the Light terminal will go to the other power lead that is not getting switched.

if your other power lead is grounded, then just connect the light terminal to ground,

like this>

(ps:do not trust the numbers on the pic, use your ohm meter. take nothing for granted when dealing with power switches and mains voltage. make yourself a drawing.)

Attachments

• LightedSwitchWiring.jpg
    LightedSwitchWiring.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 52
Right! So both live and neutral wires connect to the switch ? This is a new approach for me as in the past I've used a simple on/off switch to break/connect mains hot. The gold pin seems to be the 'light' pin as there's no resistance on dmm.  Here's hoping I don't accidentally connect L and N together by messing up the switch pin out and blowing myself away. Made many a pultec and still have all fingers intact so thanks all

Back