Classic UK Recording Studios in the 60s, 70s, and 80s

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting link - brings back a lot of memories. There are a couple of minor  inaccuracies though. The Neve desk for the Who's Ramport studios was installed in 76 not 77 - I know because I designed it and was present at its first session. There was also no mention of the side care to the Neve console at Pete Townshend's Ell Pie Studios which is also one of mine.

Despite that it is a great trip down memory lane. Thanks.

Cheers

Ian

Ian, the pages rely largely on the contributors' memories and recollections.

Phil's an acquaintance of mine who has tried to set this up as a place for people to 'pool' their recollections before we all get too old and can't remember any more, or just do like all old engineers do. (Old engineers never die, they just "fade out"!)

I wrote the page for Amazon Studios for Phil, and at the time couldn't get in contact with the studios' original founder. -I've since re-made contact, and I had him read the article and he did mention a couple of very small inaccuracies, but when I suggested he add his corrections, he said that they were insignificant, and they didn't bother him.

I'd suggest that you suggest any corrections to any inaccuracies that do bother you, since this is a labor of love for Phil, and I'm sure he'd want it to be correct in areas which matter.

Keef

Oh yeah... -also meant to ask: -Which iteration of Eel Pie are you referring to? -The original one out on the island? -or later on?

Wondering if you know a fella who's come to be a good friend over the last few years. -He was working there around the that period, I think... definitely during the Quadraphenia period. -I'll PM you a name.

SSLtech said:
Oh yeah... -also meant to ask: -Which iteration of Eel Pie are you referring to? -The original one out on the island? -or later on?

I think it was on the island. It was 74 or 75 when I went there. I remember it had big double doors like a giant shed with a small door set into one of them. I was too young to be trusted to go on my own so they sent one of the 'senior' guys with me. We knocked on the door and I guy I did not know, but who was definitely NOT Pete Townshend, answered the door. My senior colleague says 'Mr. Townshend??'

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back