selfmade vintage mixer with Danner?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exoticmanover

Hey dear DIY freaks  8)
i‘m looking for a lovely vintage mixingdesk, preferred old stuff like „Dannermoduls“ by Neumann, ANT, NTP, Lawo and such things! On my search i found a german manufacturer named „Vintagetools“, they build mixers and recordingchannels with Dannermoduls and Eurocards. I want so save a litte money and cunstrukt by myself.

Someone who knows about that special gear? how to build, plans, shops where i can find that or also other inspiration? I want to have 12-16 Preamps oder few line-in. EQ and Dynamics in the channel would be great! 4 or 6 Aux and a simple but a smart mastersection would do well.

I found this desk on Vintagetools onlineshop http://www.vintagetools.de/de/Audiotechnik-vintage/Mischpulte-Summierer/VTCC-Vintagetools-Custom-Mischpult-vintage.html and searching now for desk like that!

best regards!

Sounds interesting. I have been thinking along similar lines. I know a reasonably amount about the Danner modules, I also own a variety. I would be happy to help you with what I know. As far as design goes, it depends how far you want to go with it. Most run on 24 volts so power will be easy enough. Also most modules (all that I own) can easily be used independently as they are balanced line level in and out. So in reality this will be a reasonably easy project. The hardest parts will probably be the aux sends, pans and chassis construction. I had a look at the Vintagetools site. They seem reasonably priced (for the modules, anyway) but patience and a bit of searching will save you a lot of money. I have bought danner stuff from a couple of guys in Germany and they always seem able to find units for a much lower price and often have a large number available. It is worth keeping in mind when you buy a module, if it does not come with the relevant connector the costs for these will soon add up. Expect to pay at least 10 euro each (if you are lucky). The mixer you are thinking about, off the top of my head, could be probably be achieved for a fraction of what they would charge you. Most likely it would be nearer to the price of a api 500 series rack and 8 good modules.  All depends. All the modules I own are up there with the best of them and thanks to lack of knowledge and a bit of brand snobbery it is laughable how cheap these things can be picked up for. So, on that basis the Lawo and ANT stuff will generally sell for less than the Neumann and NTP. As far as I understand it there were various collaborations between companies plus a certain amount of re-branding. You may find that a particular module you have in mind can be bought for less because it has a different badge on the front.

Vintagetools is not a manufacturer but a guy who buys old broadcast stuff, rips it apart and sells the parts. That´s fashion nowadays because people like to buy non-functional old stuff and pay big bucks instead of buying cheap complete desk in a functional state  ;D

Latest posts

Back