EZ Tube Mixer Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used that small black covered Belden a lot in studios back in the day.  You need to put it in a vice to hold it while you strip the ends, not really clamp it but enough to hold it so the inner conductors don't slide.
I still have a bunch of ends in a box and I'll be using that in my build.
Still waiting for my Grayhill switch, now coming in May!!!!
Picking up the power transformer tomorrow and a couple of resistors I missed initially.
The rest of the power supply components will be delivered tomorrow.
The pre amp board is done except for the missing resistors and the Grayhill.
I have some tiny tie wraps that I used to secure the mic and line runs from the 32 board connector to the front of the board.  They fit nicely through the holes along the top side of the board and keep the runs very neat.

anjing said:
... Is the master section presentable?...

No. The master module will probably just get a blank panel. I will add a monitor section later.

anjing said:
About the cassettes for your modules, aren't you worried about the heat?

I found this cassette from Schroff which has some ventilation holes on top and bottom. Not so much heat inside the module here.

1.jpg

Speaking about heat: my laser thermometer told me that the resistors on the HT PCB are getting quite hot (~100°C). I'll investigate in that a bit more, maybe exchanging them with 5W or 10W types.

@ Mike, were did you get your grayhill switch? I order them from digikey,they're expensive but the shipping is cheap(and fast) and they are in stock.

I got used to securing the cable before baring them but the stiffness is what i find combersome, maybe the newer stuff is of lesser quality?

Ordered it from Newark (Farnell)
When I looked at other suppliers, they all were out of stock or had discontinued the part.
Yes, the older Belden is more flexible than the newer stuff which seems to have a stiffer outer sheath.
Picked up my power transformer today and got my RCA BK5 back from re-ribboning!
So, just waiting for the Grayhill.

Hey guy's, what kind of toggle switch would i need not to get a big "tak" when i toggle the eq on off switch. These are the ones i am using now. http://canada.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=98K4969 I rewired everything according to spec with Ian's diagram, the only problem i have is that noise.

@ Holger i am reading 65 Celcius around the tubes of my modules after a few minutes, i will take it after a few hours to see.

Regards,

Pierre

Attachments

• UpsideDownSurgery.jpg
    UpsideDownSurgery.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 116
I got a complete mixer setup with the master section up and running. I have only unbalanced out but it's working!

Attachments

• UnbalancedMasterOut.jpg
    UnbalancedMasterOut.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 248
are these chassis parts directly from schroff?
I am looking for the part#/source for the insert strip with threaded holes that affix the front panels.

shabtek said:
are these chassis parts directly from schroff?
I am looking for the part#/source for the insert strip with threaded holes that affix the front panels.

You can get parts  direct from Schroff but in the UK they have an MOV of about 200GBP. You can get various sized sub-rack kits of parts from distribution e.g. Farnell.

Cheers

Ian

Revision 4!

Fingers crossed, haha ;D

Braeden

P.s. It is unbelievable how much time I have been spending on designing my D-AOC front panel & ordering parts for it...  :-\

Attachments

• Pultec_Revision_4.txt
    49.3 KB · Views: 13
Have have been having some email discussions with an EZTubeMixer builder about modifying the HT350 PCB for different HT currents. I have taken my email reply to him and turned it into a general document on tweaking the HT350 for any value of HT current:

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• HTdesign.pdf
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Inquiry I posted in the parallel drawing board thread, who know their sub-rackage?
shabtek said:
I have a few spare sets of schroff rails.
can someone tell me if Ians Backplane mounts to the 'standard rail'--i.e. -could- line-up and be affixed to the front of the subrack?
or does it require the z-rail part?

I gather it screws down to the standard rail, and the z-rail is used only to mount din connectors without a backplane.

Pierre can you verify this, as you have done both?

I just realised I forgot to update the HPGL in the Pultec FPD file with the correct shelving graphics.
This is what happens when I take breaks between jobs.

Just a sec...

Edit: attached... please let me know if this is right.

Attachments

• Pultec_Revision_5.txt
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
Hi everyone i'd like to ask some advice. I received my smart pan boards so i'm ready to implement those in the mixer. Now since my pan and aux's are not in the same module as the preamp and eq but in a lower bucket, i was wondering how best to tap in the signal and route it back to backplane summing bus.

First I was thinking of soldering directly to the pins of the din receptacle on the backplane in order to keep the pan seperated mechanically from the preamp and eq. But this is not very elegant or not very solid.

Second idea was to feed from the input pin's of the direct out transformer. The pin's are big and it would be easy to solder there, but it would run the cables longer...I would still need to solder to the backplane in order to feed the panned signal back to the summing bus.

Third idea and probably the best solution is to feed directly from the eurochannel card pads using wire to wire connectors in order to be able to remove the cards.

I'm greatfull for any advice!

Pierre

@Pierre

It is always a good idea to keep signal cables short, especially ones connected to the bus so I would say the second idea fails  on that score. However, it does seem like a good idea to have two pads on each OUT1 and OUT2 signal one the backplane, one to feed the direct out transformer and the other to feed a separate routing/pan module. Something for the version 2 backplane.

I find it hard to choose between 1 and 3 but on balance 3 is probably the better of the two. The ideal solution would be for your AUX module to plug into its own backplane and use its buses but that is not really an option for you.

Cheers

Ian

....brainstorming here, since my mixer is small and my master summing channel is in the middle, maybe i could use this eurocard full line blank pcb i have. i could place it right under the master fader and use that to carry the bus signals...

Attachments

• 3374_large.jpg
    3374_large.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 42
anjing said:
....brainstorming here, since my mixer is small and my master summing channel is in the middle, maybe i could use this eurocard full line blank pcb i have. i could place it right under the master fader and use that to carry the bus signals...

As long as you keep the connections from the smart pan to this board short then I think it will work.

Cheers

Ian

Ian feeding the pan card from the eurochannel card were  is it best to get the ground from? The Out2 is pretty far from CH pad...any idea? From the lower pad or the RHT?

Thanks a Lot Ian!

Pierre

Attachments

• smartPanV3.jpg
    smartPanV3.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 73
Back