Circuit Lab - Web based circuit design

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whomper

Hi,

I have just learned of a new cool web site that allows one to design and test circuits, its called Circuit Labs at https://www.circuitlab.com.

Its a fully web based tool that seems to be free. You can create an account, design, test and store your schematics as well as share them with others. They might also offer the ability to design with colleagues.

I have no affiliation with that service, however think it might be of interest to some forum members.

Do people read terms of service and privacy policies?

Can we get a dislike? 

I tried to get it to do a few models, nothing worked properly under Safari or Firefox, including sample circuits they provided. 

Cool!
If nothing else, it is a really easy way to draw circuits.
I just sketched this up in 2 seconds and grabbed a screenshot to post.
I haven't gotten the simulate to work (firefox on linux)

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 39
I've been using this for a while.  It's a nice way to quickly draw circuits, and it looks good.  The simulator gives bizarro results for a lot of stuff, particularly circuits with even slightly complicated feedback paths (gigavolt spikes, that sort of thing).  I mostly use the simulator to check my math for filters, and it works fine for that.

And, as Gus suggested, this part of the terms of service more or less prevents the site's use for anything serious:

By submitting Content to CircuitLab for inclusion on the Website, you grant CircuitLab a world-wide, royalty-free, irrevocable, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content for the purpose of displaying, distributing, and making it available for use by our tools, and for any associated incidental copying of said Content. Additionally, by submitting Content to be made available for public distribution, you grant CircuitLab a world-wide, royalty-free, irrevocable, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt, and publish the Content for any marketing or promotional purposes at the sole discretion of CircuitLab. You understand and acknowledge that submitting Content to the Website intended for public distribution may additionally grant limited rights to your Content to third parties under the doctrine of fair use. If you delete Content, CircuitLab will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.

dfuruta said:
The simulator gives bizarro results for a lot of stuff, particularly circuits with even slightly complicated feedback paths (gigavolt spikes, that sort of thing). 
That's pretty standard behaviour for simulators; the AC analysis is carried out without any regard for rail voltage or any other amplitude limitation. Transient analysis takes into account amplitude limitations ONLY if they are expressly specified in rail voltages. The typical opamp.sub does not have power rails, so the simulator tells you that its open-loop output is 100 kV if the input is 1V.
There are other opamp subcircuits that include power rails; in that case, provided you have specified the rail voltages, the transient analysis will take it into account, generally making the sim last forever... :(
Part of the learning curve of simulators is making ergonomic assumptions...

I've been using circuitlab for a while, it's my first attempt at circuit simulation. It's been working well for my needs but I will upgrade to a commercial simulation product soon. 

The simulation invocation process is non-obvious, and clunky.

I'm not too worried about the liberties in the license. There's a LOT of people plunking in CircuitLab; nobody is gonna find my gems.

(Actually it is SO clunky that I do my gems in a 13 year old trial-ware sim. But it is great for quick-drawing and basic verification.)

Disappointingly small selection of opamps. (I needed something that is as fast as and input-leaks like '5532, but the 5 choices didn't have such a thing.)

> Damn thing has no tubes!!!

Damm tubes don't need simulation. Heat 'em and beat 'em. When in doubt, use the datasheet conditions; the Dead Men were no fools.

PRR said:
> Damn thing has no tubes!!!

Damm tubes don't need simulation. Heat 'em and beat 'em. When in doubt, use the datasheet conditions; the Dead Men were no fools.

I was not planning on using it to simulate tubes; LTspice is fine for that but its schematics are not pretty. This program looks like it produces professional looking schematics  but it's of little use to me without tube symbols.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back