Effective PCB cleaning solutions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37518

Hi, Ive been looking for a method to clean large PCBs, I cant fit them into ultrasonic baths since my ultrasonic bath is too small to fit the module. Ive been using CRC QD contact cleaner which I love for most stuff, QD will disolve the grease very effectively, but the problem is that once I spray it on a PCB, the grease will disolve and "liquify" but its actually really hard to take that disolved grease out of the PCB, Ive tried using compressed air to blow off the disolved grease but it will only spread the grease all over the PCB instead of blowing it off the PCB... Ive tried isopropyl alcohol but wont work half as effectively as CRC QD....

What are you guys using?

what kind of solder are you using?  if using rosin core, maybe try a "no clean" type,

then you can use a less toxic cleaner like a citrus based brand,

Thanks for the suggestion CJ, im was actually refering to pcbs with components, like old equipment and such.

Best

CJ said:
what kind of solder are you using?  if using rosin core, maybe try a "no clean" type,

then you can use a less toxic cleaner like a citrus based brand,

user 37518 said:
Hi, Ive been looking for a method to clean large PCBs, I cant fit them into ultrasonic baths since my ultrasonic bath is too small to fit the module. Ive been using CRC QD contact cleaner which I love for most stuff, QD will disolve the grease very effectively, but the problem is that once I spray it on a PCB, the grease will disolve and "liquify" but its actually really hard to take that disolved grease out of the PCB, Ive tried using compressed air to blow off the disolved grease but it will only spread the grease all over the PCB instead of blowing it off the PCB... Ive tried isopropyl alcohol but wont work half as effectively as CRC QD....

What are you guys using?

Here's what we do at the day job:

Detergent 8, diluted with deionized water. Scrub with a chip brush (1" wide paint brush) whose bristles have been cut down to about 1/4" long. After scrubbing, rinse with deionized water. Blow dry with shop air.

-a

Andy Peters said:
Here's what we do at the day job:

Detergent 8, diluted with deionized water. Scrub with a chip brush (1" wide paint brush) whose bristles have been cut down to about 1/4" long. After scrubbing, rinse with deionized water. Blow dry with shop air.

-a

That sounds like a really good method, I should definitely check it out, do you know of any other dealer the link you provided seems to be out of stock.

Thanks!

mjrippe said:
At first I was thrown by the $140/gallon price tag.  Then I saw that it gets diluted 3:100 - that's 33 GALLONS of cleaner!  Do they sell it in 16 oz bottles?

Yes, and the fact that its recommended for "nuclear radiation contamination cleaning" impressed me....

mjrippe said:
At first I was thrown by the $140/gallon price tag.  Then I saw that it gets diluted 3:100 - that's 33 GALLONS of cleaner!  Do they sell it in 16 oz bottles?

I don't think so.

Seriously, though, the stuff really works -- it cleans up flux and shmutz, rinses easily (unlike dish soap) and leaves the boards clean.

-a

Back