Ribbon Microphone Motor Assembly
« on: May 13, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
I was wondering when building a motor assembly for a microphone, what would I build it out of?

Any suggestions would be great!

abbey road d enfer

Re: Ribbon Microphone Motor Assembly
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 01:48:56 AM »
I was wondering when building a motor assembly for a microphone, what would I build it out of?

Any suggestions would be great!
Magnet is a magnet, pole pieces are steel, ribbon is Al, frame is whatever material floats your boat.
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
"The important thing is not to convince, but to give pause for thought." (B. Werber)
Star ground is for electricians.

Re: Ribbon Microphone Motor Assembly
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »
I cut a framework out of an aluminum power supply heatsink that had convenient fins to epoxy the magnets squarely against. I cut out the proper size gap between them for the ribbon. For ribbon clamps I glued brass contacts to a couple strips of turret board and soldered contacts to each so the ribbon is sandwiched between these on each end of magnets. They are screwed together with a couple small brass screws and nuts. I used 1/4'' x 2' Ne 42s from a magnet supplier. The ribbon material and Cinemag transformer I oredered from geistnote on Ebay. I made my own crimper from some brass gears out of some random junk. The body and screen is all up to you. It works and sounds well. I popped some photo's in here at some point if you search my name in this forum