Neumann M49 Clone : Build Thread Puck Style (TLM49 Conversion To M49 b-c)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Winetree,

Check the enclosed pic, I too a screen dump from Poctop's Excel.
(Needed it myself.)

Cheers,

Michael

Attachments

• 2469 PSU to M49.png
    2469 PSU to M49.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 75
FINALLY Got the body and the Thiersch M7 Blue capsule!!!

VERY Excited!  So, where do I wire the front, back and the pole wire?  I'm missing that somehow...

THANKS!

kmozart said:
FINALLY Got the body and the Thiersch M7 Blue capsule!!!

VERY Excited!  So, where do I wire the front, back and the pole wire?  I'm missing that somehow...

THANKS!

58d02819943f4.jpg

Best Dan,

Done! 

Microphone sounds Great!!!
I'll post some pictures and samples soon, so busy at the moment.  So far, used it on vocals, cello, and acoustic guitar and love it!

One question;

I have built a U47 out of the oliver's kit at tab-funkenwerk, and K49 capsule.  Comparing it to the D49, D49 is about 15 db lower on the output. Is that normal?

kmozart said:
Done! 

Microphone sounds Great!!!
I'll post some pictures and samples soon, so busy at the moment.  So far, used it on vocals, cello, and acoustic guitar and love it!

One question;

I have built a U47 out of the oliver's kit at tab-funkenwerk, and K49 capsule.  Comparing it to the D49, D49 is about 15 db lower on the output. Is that normal?

Thanks KMozart glad you finally made it , coming from you is an honnor to receive such a feedback on this mic, for sure love mine as well,  yes the M49 is lower output than Oliver 47 and also it will be a little lower output with M7 instead of K47-49,
if you have built the 49c over the 49b there also a difference in output, 1 is lower output than the other can remember wih one
IIRC the 49b is a bit lower output .  it should be a little hotter then a U87i or nearby, that is what it is given that nice color as well, <
so you dont have to worry if the all the voltage are correct B+ Bias , Heater and capsule Polarisation voltage and mainly that

your transformer is hooked up right. alway good to check  ;)

Edit : if it sounds good then your transformer is hooked up the right way  ;D

Best,
Dan,

Dany I have a question. On the prosound forum Oliver made the following statement about the 5840 vs the 701:

"It is a EF732 aka 5840. It is in no way similar to an AC701 but easy to obtain, most of them are usable right out of the box and the impedance matches the BV11 with a 2.2k cathode resistor.
There are at least over 500k of those tubes out there and not the best microphone tube by design, it is something that does get the job done if you just want a good sounding DIY project.

EC70, 71, EC1000, AC761, etc. ?????

There is no tube that has identical characteristics with reference to technical data, nor sound, noise, etc.

Best regards,

Oliver Archut"

(Find discussion here: http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,32454.30.html)

OK so does that mean I should use a 2.2k cathode resistor since I have a BV11 former?

If so, where/how would I wire it in, or would it replace a component on your pcbs?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Phrazemaster said:
Dany I have a question. On the prosound forum Oliver made the following statement about the 5840 vs the 701:

"It is a EF732 aka 5840. It is in no way similar to an AC701 but easy to obtain, most of them are usable right out of the box and the impedance matches the BV11 with a 2.2k cathode resistor.
There are at least over 500k of those tubes out there and not the best microphone tube by design, it is something that does get the job done if you just want a good sounding DIY project.

There is no tube that has identical characteristics with reference to technical data, nor sound, noise, etc.

Best regards,

Oliver Archut"

(Find discussion here: http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,32454.30.html)

...and it should also be noted that Oliver implemented that very same 732 (5840) submini in his design for the Telefunken RFK AK-47, and later his own Blackspade UM17, both mics of which he described as being U47/M49 influenced...

Winetree said:
I got an e-mail that Rigglers bodies are shipping,
I have to decide on a mic transformer using the 5840 tube.
I'd like to save some money and use the T-49, but if the BV's are better, I'll pop for those.
Any real use  comments on the BV11A, vs. BV11R vs. the T-49.

I had some T49's and then tried the BV11R. After that I have swapped BV11R's into all of my "49 mic's" except for the ones where I use Max's BV11's and I would use either Max's or the BV11R. Especially if you have installed a premium capsule.

Cheers,
jb

Hey gang I have 2 questions, probably for Dany...

1) If/when I ever pop for a real AC701, will it drop in, or will I need to adjust voltages etc?

2) I want to move to England, from USA, to be with my lovely gf. That means I want to make my DIY project PSU's Europe-friendly. I was thinking of making it dual voltage, using a switch like this: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0033.4504/486-2403-ND/641146

My question is, how hard would it be to implement something like this? Do I need to get two different torroids, and two different heater transformers as well, all within the box? Or is there a more elegant way of handling this? Sorry; I love DIY'ing but electronics and I are not always on speaking terms.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

So it is done X 3! Decca tree here I come.

Equinox D47 Capsule matched X 3. Max K's Transformer. Riggler and TSguys bodies. My own designed and built PCB for swapping out 5840 tubes. Yay!

See Pix. A bit of a rush job with this post sorry I will fix it up when time allows. They all sound great but now the tube selection begins!

Attachments

• THE BUILD.pdf
    163.2 KB · Views: 103
Pip said:
So it is done X 3! Decca tree here I come.

Equinox D47 Capsule matched X 3. Max K's Transformer. Riggler and TSguys bodies. My own designed and built PCB for swapping out 5840 tubes. Yay!

See Pix. A bit of a rush job with this post sorry I will fix it up when time allows. They all sound great but now the tube selection begins!

Wow,
Thanks For that,
this is whip Cream  8)

kidvybes said:
Phrazemaster said:

Best regards,

Oliver Archut"

...and it should also be noted that Oliver implemented that very same 732 (5840) submini in his design for the Telefunken RFK AK-47, and later his own Blackspade UM17, both mics of which he described as being U47/M49 influenced...

They are a fine tube and there are zillions available. Once again if you want to use the venerable AC701 get your wallet out as you will have to buy several and hope that one is mic grade. They run about $400.00 a piece these days.

OK perhaps a basic PSU transformer question; forgive me if this is obvious.

For European connection, using the torrid:

Can connect the windings in Series for 230v for primary. Then secondary can be connected in parallel for output of ~120v?

Forgive me; I'm nervous do you have to have primary in series and secondary in series too, or can mix them as described above? I don't want to piss off any electrons or cause a fire.

Thank-you,

Mike

**EDIT Google is my friend; I found this link:

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transformer/multiple-winding-transformers.html

Apparently this is totally fine. Could I get an Amen from Dany or some other wizard? Electricity makes me nervous! Thanks!

In all honesty, it makes me nervous, too.
And  you've proven to be braver than me, sofar.

BTW, a little nervousness is OK. It makes you careful, which doesn't hurt in this regard.
Too much ain't good, though. When you lose the steady hand and can't think straight anymore, it really gets dangerous.

Thanks micaddict mr. cheeky! ;)

I agree; it's good to have a healthy fear or respect of this hobby. I read recently that tubes can kill, so although I've been very careful and have not gotten killed so far (I think), I will continue to have a healthy respect for what I'm doing. So I don't get deader.

You know, I could of died already and didn't know it. We're all scraping after creating clones when here in the afterlife all we hafta do is order us up a brand new M49 from the heaven factory from Mr. Neumann hisself.

Go figger!

Thanks,

Mike

Latest posts

Back