Switch options for my 1084 project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Che_Guitarra

I'm building a pair of Bluzzi's 1084 EQs, but i'm wanting to improve the layout aesthetic (from my POV) involved with the unit on/off/bypass switching.  Seeing i've only been on the DIY train for two years i'm unsure if it's possible (or if the parts exist) to change it up to how I want... so i'm seeking the sage advice of this forum.

IMG_7471_zps9417f464.jpg

I'd like to mount an 'on' LED where the bypass/in currently is (and rub out the screen printing), but rather than an on/off rocker switch in the next mounting hole i'd like a three stage switch so I can flick from:
- unit off [LED off]
- unit on (bypass EQ, trafo's on) [LED on]
- unit on (EQ engaged) [LED on]

I don't think I need 'true bypass' as i'm patchbay operator - but if skipping this option sounds like a bad idea i'm all ears to a voice of reason. 

Otherwise, can I get what i'm after?  If so, can you post a link to the parts (or part names) i'll need?  Thanks guys  :)

I wouldn't like the idea of a bypass switch and power switch combo......late night mixing session, monitors turned up loud, you go to bypass the eq and accidentally turn off the eq with a big click/thump/wallop through your speakers.

Have you seen the lighted toggle switches?  Or EAO make very nice small diameter lighted pushbuttons too.  Use those for bypass and a separate switch for you your mains.

The switch would require different poles for switching AC mains and to engage a DC control voltage for the hard bypass relais to operate the unit. Depending on legal requirement (only switching mains hot or switching mains hot and neutral mandatory) This would at least be a two pole On-On-On toggle.
Though the normaly closed hard bypass relais in switch center position would hopefully prevent the speakers from popping, I wouldn't want these fighting potentials in close proximity at the same switch. YMMV.

Thanks for the input guys - based on those points I might scratch that previous idea.

I think I might just omit the bypass option altogether. 

I used this ,

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=M2113TCFW01-ROvirtualkey63300000virtualkey633-M2113CF-RO

red and green dual select , bypass and on ,

hope this helps,
dan,

poctop said:
I used this ,

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=M2113TCFW01-ROvirtualkey63300000virtualkey633-M2113CF-RO

red and green dual select , bypass and on ,

hope this helps,
dan,
This kinda switch would have power off in the center position, that might/would cause popping because FI psu voltages and the circuit behind take some time to stabilize. Maybe I am missing something.
The OP wanted the sequence power-off+bypass, powered+bypass in center position and powered+on. 3 throw positions per switch pole needed. Dunno of any common avail.Off-On-On toggle/rocker. You could have a lorlin type 4x3 rotary switch mounted sideways and operate the spindle with a lever thru or attached to the spindle. The length of the lever at 2x30° rotation/step might be a too long way to travel though.

Back