Getting I2S output?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsez

Hai,

Is it possible to get I2S output from a sound card/ DAC?
I made mistake, I bought a AK4399 DAC Kit from ebay, I thought it can do SPDIF input, but in fact it  have I2S input only.  :(
My old sound card using AK4393, any suggestion?

Thanks,

Simon

simonsez said:
Hai,

I made mistake, I bought a AK4399 DAC Kit from ebay, I thought it can do SPDIF input, but in fact it  have I2S input only.  :(

If you're the adventurous sort, then you can remove the DAC from the sound card and look up its data sheet to figure out which pins are the I2S pins. Then run wires from the PCB pads to your new kit.

Having said that: the gotcha will be bringing the modulator clock from the sound card to the new DAC kit. That will probably be a disaster with fly leads.

-a

Andy Peters said:
simonsez said:
Hai,

If you're the adventurous sort, then you can remove the DAC from the sound card and look up its data sheet to figure out which pins are the I2S pins. Then run wires from the PCB pads to your new kit.

Having said that: the gotcha will be bringing the modulator clock from the sound card to the new DAC kit. That will probably be a disaster with fly leads.

-a

The board  has 5 connector pin input labelled : DATA, BCK, LRCK, MCK. AK4393 has corresponding pin like in the picture below, so  it's simply connect the board to those corresponding pin?

Simon

Attachments

• 4393.jpg
    4393.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 29
In theory yes.

you might want to add ground ;-).... shortest possible wires, 100ohm resistors in series (optional, might help with the signal integrity). check with oszilloscope if available.

then you will have to set up your DAC to the specific sample rate, bit depth, transmission protocol (probably I2S in your case) an so on... check general audio performance after that.

a scope can really help..

cheers,

michael

ESI Julia is one such sound card, though with oldish PCI interface, see:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/102851-i2s-juli-pci-sound-card.html

There seems to be similar PCIe card as well:
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/juliaxte/

Rochey said:
it may be much easier for you to use S/PDIF and use a simple DIR9001 IC to convert S/PDIF to I2S.

/R

Thank you,
I found this http://pavouk.org/hw/modulardac/en_dir9001spdif.html
It's look like a safer option..
I will try both..

Will report back when it's ready....

Hi,

FYI I have successfully connected a USB-to-I2S card with a TI DSD1794 using the pins you mention here:

The board  has 5 connector pin input labelled : DATA, BCK, LRCK, MCK. AK4393 has corresponding pin like in the picture below, so  it's simply connect the board to those corresponding pin?

Additional a ground connection ;) Plays 192khz/24 bits with no drop-outs and sounds very good. I use short wires of close to equal length.

Greetings,

Jesper

Latest posts

Back