Digi 002 Rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertH

Hi all,

I have "a chance" to buy a Digidesign Digi002 Rack for a reasonable price (120 euros), but I'd like to know if it's still worth spending my money on.

I have a Focusrite Saffire pro 24, currently, which I do like because it's mobile and sounds pretty good, but I'd like the better expandability of the digi002. The focusrite only has an adat in, for example, so only limited to 6 outputs, and I sometimes work in surround, so they're all unavailable. Then only 4 inputs, are sometimes pretty limited. I'm using 2 DIY mic pre's so I can run 4 mics.

At school (I'm a film school student -stuyding sound engineer, last year in my education), all the post production studios are working with a macpro/Digi002 system, running Protools 9 + complete production toolkit. And so far, I haven't encountered any problems there.

However, I know from experience there, and reading articles and reviews everywhere, that the pre's are worth shit.

How are the convertors, in general, and would it be a big improvement (and worth my time) if I were to mod it? I read that Black lion audio mods these (for a pretty high price, IMHO). I would try doing this myself. I like the challenge and have the experience and capability to mod the thing, if it's worth it, that is.

Now as far as I know, the price is very reasonable, and the thing is in working order, without any esthetic problems neither.

I'd just like some advice if it's still "up to the task" today. And if so, or if not, what could make it better, and is that worth it?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Bert.

I don't think the expandability of the 002 is so great  , 4 line in only , 4 switchable mic/line
two digi rca's and 8 on a light pipe , 18 possible which is not a bad number though not that flexible

I run location recording through a 002.

8x Apogee inputs through the ADAT ins, plus a SoundField b-format through the 4x line inputs, and 4x spot mics (if needed) through the mic/line inputs....

PLENTY flexible, when viewed that way.

As  said , 18 max , I use one for jobs where i need to carry less
and accept myself limited to 8-12  which for non pop stuff is usually fine
[ and yes with outboard preamps ]
although not much more than the mentioned unit , no ? 

Hi Bert!

Depending on your needs the 002 could be a decent soution, especially if you're on a budget €120 is a good deal.

I run 002+Protools+MacBook and its a very stable system, I do mostly location recording.

The internal preamps dont have have loads of gain so I use them for non critical and louder sources like bass drum etc.

For weaker signals (acoustic guitar, ribbons) I use external preamps inbetween, (4 ch Diy-API & 4 ch Diy-Great River) and an ADA8000 for a total of 16 channels.

Thanks to 8 outputs and a Monitor out, RCA and Midi it's quite flexible.

Sound is ok especially if you use outboard preamps.

Only problem I had was the dreaded "Power harness"-faliure: on some units they used an internal cable (power harness) between PSU and main PCB whitch had wrong plating on the contacts leading to unregular dropouts of the IEEE1394 connections (on my unit)
The cure was to solder all connections, no problems since then.

I have one of the 002 control surfaces and it works for what I need it for. I basically only use it for the control surface and as a protools dongle. Everything is run digital through my da7, with a mytek da on the da7's spdif. I'm also having power harness problems, which reseating the connector fixes, but I just picked up an hd system so..

The pre's are useable in a pinch for scratch tracks, but they're pretty noisy (I use the da7's pre's as my utility mic amps). The convertion doesn't sound so hot either (I'm willing to bet your focusrite has superior sounding convertion). It will do high def on the 002 converters if you absolutlely have to have high def. The internals are all surface mount so modding is a total pain. But I have to say it can be a stable system as long as you're not pushing the rtas too hard. It's biggest limitation for me is expandability. No wordclock makes resolving clock difficult if you have a bigger system. Once you get the adat filled you're basically out of options, it's either 8 channels of your adat convertion or 002 convertion (which as I said, doesn't sound too good). Honestly if I could do it all again with PT9 and didn't need the control surface, I'd go with a different interface that you didn't have to work around (ie. Better onboard convertion and mic amps) and integrates better into an expanded system (ie. Wordclock, more digital i/o). It might cost more, but you won't outgrow it in two years.

That's my main concern. The AD/DA conversion. I don't really care about the mic pre's. I use outboard pre's for "the good stuff", also DIY models. I use the pre's in my focusrite too, for ADR work, or simple foley recordings, as they are really quiet (and clean), but no soul, really, and when they clip, they make your ears bleed. :p

but indeed, the AD/DA conversion.

I read that upgrading the PSU makes a very big difference, but I'd only do that if the thing is worth upgrading...
I feel 120 euros is a good price for the thing, and it'd give me some more flexebility than my current focusrite. 

but on the other hand...
I'm using Nuendo 4, and a student version of Protools 10 (awaiting a complete production toolkit), how much would the Digi002 offer. And, would that be more than the focusrite?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Get it and then sink a bit more money into it by getting the black lion mod.  Will make the unit sound phenomenal!  I still have my 002 on my "B" setup.  18 i/o is pretty good when you consider the HD i/os only allow for 16.  Only bad thing is they got rid of mirroring for the i/o so you can't miror the analog 1/2 to the spidif for instance.  The 003s had word clock but for some reason the 003 scared the hell out of avid for some reason, and it had some "compatibility" issues. But the Blacklion mod will eliminate the need for an ext clock for the most part.

Back