DU67 sound samples thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim50hertz

I thought I'd start a thread in the hope that we could collate some sound samples of our various iterations of the DU67 in the one place for folks to browse.

My pair were put together with Max's BV12s, Beesneez brass K6s, Telefunken EF86s. 

The following recordings are of a Taylor 310CE with very old strings, so not as piercingly bright as I've heard this guitar in the past.  HPF is in on both mics throughout.

Recording chain as follows

DU67s - JLM99v - DIGI002 - ProTools.

Mics were roughly a foot and a half out from the guitar aimed roughly at the 12th fret. 

Other than to flip the phase on the side mic copy for the MS clip no effects, compression or EQ.

Thoughts and comments appreciated, provided they are not about my poor playing/sloppy technique etc.

Here's the soundcloud link, high quality MP3 uploads.

https://soundcloud.com/jim50hertz/sets/du67-acoustic-guitar

Here's a yousendit link for the 24bit/48kHz files

http://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJqK0dwMHdFc0w0WjlVag

Peace

Jim

Thanks for starting this, Jim!

About time someone did it, too.  ;)
Nah, seriously, more and more builds will reach completion. Might as well have the samples under one roof here.  :)

HPF is in on both mics throughout.

So far, I've only listened on my laptop, but the HPF corners at 200 Hz. You will lose some fundamentals, at least those of the wound strings, if not fretted (low E is 82.5 Hz and the G string is 196 Hz, from the back of my head). No problem in a mix, with bass guitar and all, but on its own it could be a bit lean. If in cardioid (or figure eight) proximity will partly make up for that. But U67s typically have less proximity than most other LDCs, and a foot and a half distance isn't super close. Plus aimed at the 12th fret won't be nearly as boomy as closer to(wards) the soundhole. Then again, this is a dreadnought.

I talk too much. I'd better listen through some proper speakers first.

Thanks Jim to put a thread like this,  from what i can tell from here is that i love the Bodyness of this sound take very very much  :),

Keep them coming , 

Best,
DAn ., :)

Forgot to mention that this is a nice demonstration of very powerfull  recording technic  XY MS Blumlein,

Thanks Jim  Love it ,
Best,
DAn,

OK, I've listened through some full range speakers. The samples without HPF definitely sound more natural; like being in the room with the guitar. But the HPF samples provide a more even layer, and especially in a mix this would be preferred. In the latter case, fresh strings would probably be preferred, too. However, e.g. for bass strum technique (folky-style strumming with alternating bass) and fingerstyle, I'm 99% sure no high pass (at 200 Hz that is) would be better.
In any case, these microphones will not limit you in any way.

Yes, it's great to have a pair, particularly since the U67 can do figure eight, too.

Jim, could you do some (close-ish) talking into them E.g. front, side and back for all three patterns.
If it's in authentic Glasgow tongue, all the better!  :)

Henk

Dany and Henk

Thanks both for your comments.  As you say, great to have a pair.  I'll try to grab some time before my session on Wednesday to get some speech down.  The side null in fig 8 is impressive I must say. 

Peace

Jim

Latest posts

Back