5 pin XLR Patch Bay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druu

Has anyone built a 5pin XLR (Stereo) patch bay? I'm looking to build one before pursuing a passive console, just to get my head around things. If anyone has any advice that would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Well I guess for mastering it would be more ideal and less of a patch bay mess. Also you could fit more inserts.

I did consider the conventional 3 pin but just wanted to see if anyone else has tried with 5 pin xlr's. the price jump over here is hefty though, almost double from 3 pin to 5 pin amphenol connector.

bruno2000 said:
5 pin XLRs are really expensive!
Best,
Bruno2000

They are expensive yes, especially the Neutrik ones. Got some recently.
Saying that, are they still cheaper than buying two separate 3-pin?

If you concerned with cost and space then skip xlr's all together or only use them sparingly. Look at the current  crop of mastering consoles on the market, I see a lot with 25 pin dsub for inserts and other goodies. Hell the older manly consoles were elco's Just a thought...

If you're doing mastering and hook everything through 5pin XLRs then it becomes trickier to use separate processing devices on Mid and Side signals in an MS encoded stereo signal.

For most patch bay setups I'd just stick with Bantams for line level things and XLRs for mics. Keeping the mics away from jacks will avoid any nasty accidents involving hot-plugging with +48V on.

Back