need help to repair Beta52A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjazz

Hello,
I have some troubles with my Shure Beta52A at work. Maybe it has fallen, I can hear a small noise (''clic'') coming from the rear of the capsule when I shake this mic.
Does anybody know how to unmount the capsule mount so that I can access to the rear of the body ? (capsule is fixed on a large round black piece, screwed on the body, appears to be glued ?)
Any advice would be appreciated !
Thanks.
Cheers.
Eric

Yep, it's glued.  You have to very carefully pull it out.  It's not too hard.  We had one where a wire had broken in the back of the mic.
Best,
Bruno2000

search reveals:

"Unscrew the grill and look for a plastic piece that holds the capsule in place. This plastic piece also can be unscrewed and will allow you to reach the PC board inside. Check for broken wiring (most common problem) but low output usually indicates a damaged mic capsule that must be replaced."

ericjazz said:
Hello,
I have some troubles with my Shure Beta52A at work. Maybe it has fallen, I can hear a small noise (''clic'') coming from the rear of the capsule when I shake this mic.
Does anybody know how to unmount the capsule mount so that I can access to the rear of the body ? (capsule is fixed on a large round black piece, screwed on the body, appears to be glued ?)
Any advice would be appreciated !
Thanks.
Cheers.
Eric

Don't fix it. Bin it and replace it with a microphone that doesn't suck.

-a

I recently had a beta 52A apart as it sounded like shit... turns out it was a dead capsule. the price of the capsule from shure is so close to the price of a new mic we debated if it was worth fixing, the end fixing vs buying a new one won out.

The screen screws off. then the black plastic capsule holder assembly is glued and screwed on. From there the capsule ties to a pc board with a circuit inside, there is a 2 X electrolytic caps(standed polorized caps), 1 X inductor and 1 X resistor.  Now the circuit part is in parallel with the capsule and the output. A massive change in frequency would indicate a problem with the circuit but a massive drop in volume indicates a dead capsule...

Something nice and flat...  :eek:

frequency_response-beta52.gif

Thanks for your comments, guys !
I agree this mike isn't a work of art... (like many other Shure mikes... sorry again this Neumann disease...)
I only  have to provide it in many P.A. technical requirements...
So I'll try to unmount and see what's going wrong. If I manage to fix, ok. Otherwise, I won't be so sad  ;)
All the best.
Eric

Zebra50: honestly, for kick in P.A. application, I don't think a flat response is the best (or massive EQ?)  :) just my opinion, though
CJ: I already own a 602. Not a bad mike. But beta52is fashionable here...

ericjazz said:
Zebra50: honestly, for kick in P.A. application, I don't think a flat response is the best (or massive EQ?)  :) just my opinion, though
CJ: I already own a 602. Not a bad mike. But beta52is fashionable here...

If you want a pre-EQed kick drum mic, the Audix D6 is better. And more-easily positioned. The Sennheiser is a good choice, too.

I'm old school and use an M88.

-a

To be honest on that scale it looks worse than it is!

Live sound is a different art altogether, and I am in awe of those who do it (and those who do it well)!

Latest posts

Back