[GROUP BUY] GIX-51X. Second (and likely the last) run. [[CLOSED]]

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, The end of the day is nearing and I'm closing this thang up. This does not mean you're going to miss out. This means you need to contact me before sending payment. Once all the extras are used up, that will be it and we'll all high five eachother for a job well done.

Toure14 said:
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this question but hopefully someone will be willing to explain it to me or point me to the right thread...

why do so many people buy 2 preamp kits or pairs when they build. I am asking from the perspective of someone who records vocals in mono?

Thanks in advance

An old Bruce Swedien trick is to record vocals in stereo. That could be one reason. Or do dual mono for mic shootouts, or one close mic, one far mic to capture a great room. All kinds of reasons for a single vocal source to have 2 pres.

Just an update, PCBs will ship on the 22nd. A couple days behind schedule, as they had to redo a bunch of the faceplates due to blemishes. At least I know they care. (I told them I would straight up reject them if there were any cosmetic issues before they even gave me the quote.)

Brackets should be shipping soon after.

Brackets and pcbs are here. Everything looks great, so I'll be packing and shipping soon. I'll be sending out emails letting you know what is owed for shipping where applicable.

Received my package today!  Nice.  I'm pretty sure I have everything I need except the 400V 35ns Vishay Rectifiers.  If anyone finds a source, please share.

recieved my package yesterday...everything was there. I will add though i feel this project needs an updated sleeker looking faceplate. I was skeptical at first but looking at them in person confirmed my skepticism. I am grateful for the project but when lined up against the other pres i have this one doesnt give off the "ooohhh awwwe" look...I wish i knew how to use that software...

havent built this pre yet but im sure it sounds amazing...pcbs and metal work look really good

I know what you mean about the faceplate. It's not a commercial product, and I don't have the resources to make multiple prototype faceplates. So, that's just the nature of the open source beast. If I were to spend the time and money to design and prototype a super sleek modern faceplate, I definitely wouldn't price it at ten bucks. Maybe we could hit up Dan at collective cases for something special?

I agree on hitting up someone who designs faceplates, something I sort of wanted to do from the start. But in any case I actually like Bruce0's knob choice. I bought the same knobs and I think a cleaner/modern looking design is all that is needed. Do you have Dan's contact info? I wouldn't mind contacting him about the issue since i'll be asking him to make me some faceplates for my ssl 9k5 and 4k5 pre's soon.

My best guess is to contact him through the white market thread . I went by my own personal taste in designing the front panel to make it look more vintage.

I can only imagine what they look like side by side...If you can post a pic.

I think my issue is Jeff spoiled me with his API pre's they aren't commercial (although they could be) but they just look really good. My NV73's from the Don Classics looks vintage but modern, and my SSL 9k5 and 4k5's look retro as well. Then there's my hairball Lola's that have a unique look as well.

I think this one should keep the vintage look now that I think about it, but I wanna spice up a few things  ;)

I hear u man. I'm reporting for duty on Sunday to Chicago...in the mean time i'll try and cook up something and share it with everyone and see what happens...oxblood or red is really sticking to me now, especially with a white or maybe tint gray faceplate...I will hit up frank and dan and see what i can come up with.

Back