Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
I'm going nuts waiting for the new Daft Punk album... I've also always wondered how they get the tone and sounds they have.
I've also seen that Niles Rodgers is playing on the album. Love that kind of guitar question.

So, as we have a *very* varied base of folks here, I have a few questions

1 - can anyone get me a prelim copy? Long shot, but worth a try  ;)
2 - Do any of you know the software platform/DAW process they use? I'd love to start dabbling making similar music.

Sorry can't be of much help with the DP process, but I have a nagging feeling this thread is going to be moved to the "Studio" section after a while.

Everybody knows they used to use alesis 3630 in the old days, so not much help here ...

"With the Chic guitar", eh?

Don't know much about them or their setup, but i'm sure they're using a lot of analog synths (that's obvious) and maybe have walls of that + Samplers
And DAW, i guess their using just Cubase as the Midi platform as Justice did or some others... some says Justice even used Garage band so...
At the end i don't think there is any recipe for what they do, they just had the tools at on time and worked
around it, until they found a sound they like, and something they could identify with, or worked with a tech that gave them the hints and worked together...
Sound is one thing, the composition is another as always, a good song makes you forget the bad recording sometimes, and you want to grab that afterwards...
I was listening to Daft Punk and had Vinyls of them them back in 1995 or so...
Found a Soundcloud of one of their mixes back then, lot of nice memorys..., i guess Random Access Memories will bring back some of this...

https://soundcloud.com/retailgroup/daft-punk-essential-mix-1997

Forget gear and technique...while they probably have both the main thing that helps their sound is that they've been listening to disco / funk since in their mothers womb. They know that sound they're making like no other.
If I remember correctly both their fathers were (are?) famous producers from that (disco / funk) era....

I thought this was pretty interesting, even though it was just another ad shot in fake documentary style where everybody is hyping everybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYDvxo-M0OQ

There's more of these ads by other collaborators.

i was just joking....

Well yes it was good before the masks, it's still ok, but well they needed to be more famous so....
Visual is very important these days, so manga as video clips, big light shows etc.. etc... well you know...
On a side note, their headsets seem to cost a lot when i checked some years ago, somehing ridiculous like 50K or so, but that could have just been rumours...

radiance said:
Their best stuff was still without  the masks...

Spoken like a true fan. heard elsewhere "Fan Prefers Tarantino's Early Work..."

"...When He Was Shelving Movies All Day At Video Store"

And more: http://www.theonion.com/articles/there-are-people-in-world-who-are-concerned-about,32162/

Well the "Get lucky" track doesn't impress me much, let's wait and hear the other stuff.
For now not much risks taken...
Of course they weren't going to make folk music, but just sayin, and all that "before coming out" marketing thing
is kind of boring, and takes the thing away a little for me, it makes them look like the new Disney hero's or so.... anyway not impressed.

I've only heard the "Get lucky" track and I dont like it, its a tad too funky for me.
However "Homework" is one of my favourite albums of all time.
I'm not sure specifically which sound you are referring to, as daft punk have a few signature ticks, I do know how to creat that almost speaking synth sound, its just a combo of filter and bit crusher, its very easy to recreate even with a simple synth sound, just get the envelope attack to cutoff just right. I'll hae a look at a track I did last year but never finished and show you the chain, when i get home from work.
Its either crush then filter or filter then crush......

Daft Punk has always had a their sound up to the highest standards. I really like this new track. Takes it up a notch with mostly live instruments and all.

Also very refreshing they have not crushed it to death in mastering. Several of their previous albums have been nearly unlistenable because of it, very annoying, very fatiguing. I've even used them as examples of just how bad it can get with the loudness war. Just play "robot rock" along side "get lucky".  :eek:

Kingston said:
Daft Punk has always had a their sound up to the highest standards. I really like this new track. Takes it up a notch with mostly live instruments and all.

Also very refreshing they have not crushed it to death in mastering. Several of their previous albums have been nearly unlistenable because of it, very annoying, very fatiguing. I've even used them as examples of just how bad it can get with the loudness war. Just play "robot rock" along side "get lucky".  :eek:

Robot Rock is probably the most over-compressed song I have ever heard, after about a minute I can't take it anymore.

Latest posts

Back