Parts kits?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winetree

I like buying parts kits. You get all the parts in hand and it saves a lot of time making a correct (order) cart.
However, some of my experiences have  been in prepaid kits, of paying in advance and waiting 3 to 5 months for the kit. I'm not in the loan business and I hate waiting.
There are exceptions such as basic P.S.B's and hardware kits and I'd order those again.

Suggestion: You have to make a cart to order the parts.  Why not just charge a fee for it.
This would save all your time of raising funds, waiting, sorting, bagging, labeling, packing,
shipping and answering posts.
We'd have use of our loaned money, save time of  posting for E.T.A's and waiting for delivery.
We could order the parts and get them direct.
How much are you really making for handling the kits.
This could be made in the BOM cart fee. Which I'd be willing to pay.
Just my two cents.

We've started posting Mouser BOM's for some expat audio products,
However, everyone prefers their particular distributor... Creating part lists for each would drive me insane! ;)

Wouldn't you prefer new and innovative products? 8)

nah...

If someone is making you wait 3-5 months for some easily available parts, they are not much of a business. Over the years I have been stiffed by a small handful of small businesses that failed without delivering the goods.

In my decade plus running a kit business my longest order fulfillment delay was when the major IC maker that a key part was single sourced from didn't have any available to ship to anybody (despite telling me they were in stock months earlier. Yup the die were in stock in malaysia somewhere, just give us several weeks to package then and throw them on a slow boat.  :'(

JR 

Nice idea. I did and do sell part kits for some projects.
Packing them is a pain, and takes a lot of time you don't get paid for.

However, part kits are fine for many reasons, support questions are way lower, you don't have to answer all those "could I use this or that instead of" questions, etc.

Now, depending on the project you won't find one supplier stocking all parts, makes it difficult to make a "Mouser" or "Digikey" or any cart!

For my Neumann MicPre Projects I have to use up to 10 different suppliers. Not for prices, just because availability.

The other thing is selling parts you don't have, I prefer not doing this.

I think another viable option would  be to have a BOM with the manufacturer part number, not necessarily the specific distributor part number, and use something like sandsquid.com to order the parts.  This way, one doesn't have to maintain individual distributor carts.

Granted, the website above is only US distributors, but maybe there is a European equivalent out there.

Maybe, I'm sick though...I get a certain joy out of searching for parts and making a BOM for my projects :)

Full project BOM availability from a single source is a relatively recent phenomenon in my experience. I think the Mouser one-click bom will increasingly be an option for n. american builders.

Half the fun is hunting down parts for your pcb no?  :D

I like pdf boms, where it just lists the part, value and type (e.g. 1% metal film etc etc).

Surely not too hard to make these? No need to put part numbers etc etc....I'm sure most people are capable of loading up a few web pages and using a search tool...

If I ever buy a parts kit it always seems to be from one of the guys in Denmark and I've never had to wait long....Danes and their efficiency...

Back