If you could only build one microphone... which one would it be?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikb1971

If you could only build one microphone... which one would it be?

And that one is going to be your only mic, for everything! Iam strugling with that question myself at the moment, so would like to know your input on this subject. And yes... there can be only one. (exeptions only for stereo pairs)

cheers

Erik

I'm weird... so I'll have to say the SM7B. It's just an all around awesome mic that you can use on anything. You could record an entire album with the damn thing.

gemini86 said:
I'm weird... so I'll have to say the SM7B. It's just an all around awesome mic that you can use on anything. You could record an entire album with the damn thing.

that is an interesting option! Considering the price not really diy I would guess... but still! Gonna be on the lookout for a second hand one!

She shall have swappable head-baskets for K67, M7, K47, and C12 style capsules....
And she shall have a C37 style capsule/basket too...
She shall utilize both gold-sputtered and nickel pluggable-capsule-assemblies of wide varied provenance.
Capsule polarization voltage shall be adjustable within a useful range as shall be other operating and voltage conditions.
She shall have a pluggable output transformer and a big body to accommodate various parts and modules inside.
She shall have a couple PCB's with pluggable Hi-Z connections to the capsule connections.
She shall have swappable PCB modules for a couple different tube circuits and FET circuits.
She shall be both stereo and mono to say the least....
And she shall be M/S capable...
She shall have an X/Y headbasket and a Blumlein headbasket.
She shall have both a coincident pair head-basket and an ORTF.
She shall have various pads, pattern controls, and low frequency roll-offs.
She shall be switchable and jumper-able.
She shall contain tested and confirmed NOS carbon glaze resistors, pio's, and silver/teflon wiring.
She shall utilize mil-spec binder connectors where appropriate.
She shall not have any unnecessary or extraneous parts.
She shall be capable of 24/7/365/100 operation.

She shall be a complex microphone system.
She shall be unique and beautiful.
She shall posses undeniable-majik-microphone-qualities.

Ciao!
-jb

EDIT:
She shall have ribbons, motors, magnets, and coils to cover passive-pressure-and-velocity-gradient applications.

0dbfs said:
She shall have swappable head-baskets for K67, M7, K47, and C12 style capsules....
And she shall have a C37 style capsule/basket too...
She shall utilize both gold-sputtered and nickel pluggable-capsule-assemblies of wide varied provenance.
Capsule polarization voltage shall be adjustable within a useful range as shall be other operating and voltage conditions.
She shall have a pluggable output transformer and a big body to accommodate various parts and modules inside.
She shall have a couple PCB's with pluggable Hi-Z connections to the capsule connections.
She shall have swappable PCB modules for a couple different tube circuits and FET circuits.
She shall be both stereo and mono to say the least....
And she shall be M/S capable...
She shall have an X/Y headbasket and a Blumlein headbasket.
She shall have both a coincident pair head-basket and an ORTF.
She shall have various pads, pattern controls, and low frequency roll-offs.
She shall be switchable and jumper-able.
She shall contain tested and confirmed NOS carbon glaze resistors, pio's, and silver/teflon wiring.
She shall utilize mil-spec binder connectors where appropriate.
She shall not have any unnecessary or extraneous parts.
She shall be capable of 24/7/365/100 operation.

She shall be a complex microphone system.
She shall be unique and beautiful.
She shall posses undeniable-majik-microphone-qualities.

Ciao!
-jb

Not even a ribbon?  :eek:

I suppose he is after one of the mic's that kits/instructions are currently available for  ::)

Only 1 for everything......I would...save up and build more than one :p

The U87 as it is well documented, you can pretty much get everything you need to do it (so all you have to do is solder) and it is a fine all rounder....
I reckon that would be the easiest one for a newbie to build aswell

For a very well documented and available build at a reasonable cost, I would do Chunger and Matador 's C12 rebuild of the Apex 460.

Quality parts in = superb sound and very, very doable.

My much more modest version is killer and I don't really use any other LDC mic any more.

I used to really desire to do the more expensive 47 style build. Not anymore  :)

ramshackles said:
I suppose he is after one of the mic's that kits/instructions are currently available for  ::)

Only 1 for everything......I would...save up and build more than one :p

The U87 as it is well documented, you can pretty much get everything you need to do it (so all you have to do is solder) and it is a fine all rounder....
I reckon that would be the easiest one for a newbie to build aswell

are you saying that the 0dbfs microphone does not come in a kit / bundle?

Something that takes a really long time...like building stuff more than using it.

Gustav

I've read it three times. But I still don't understand the question.

You already have other mics, correct? At least one dynamic mic, and now you're trying to pick one condenser to build?

well.. it was more a sort of general discussion question.. what is the one ultimate more or less buildable mic... so.. shoot!

Just making sure.  ;)  If a project or home studio has literally one mic, that mic should not be a condenser. Unless you're blessed with an amazing acoustic space. I'd stand with Gemini86 and Riggler and say that one mic should be an SM7.

In the case of the "ultimate" and "build-able" 2nd mic: M49.

Latest posts

Back