Hakko 808 +Variac - Stepdown TransFormer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFR3000

Hi I know there is an older thread with similar facts and figures but I am in a quandary whether to jump and buy the MUCH cheaper USA market Hakko 808 rather than the UK one on offer from the Oh so expensive rip off Dancap.

Have asked him and HAKKO Japan via email WHY they are so dear in the EU and their stock answer to my price fixing allegation was - we sell lots more in the usa so its cheaper to buy there....yeah.

Paul at Dancap is of the same ilk, and does not want to jeopardize his business by selling cheap...

I am thinking of applying to become a distributor for Hakko even though I am in a different market -just to sell them cheap and piddle them all off...:D

My question is -after my rant- can I use a variac to power the 110vac from the states in the uk - on 220/240 volts ac.?

And where can I can one that will do a proper job.

My question is really directed at thermionic: As it was his words that has  inspired me to consider  buying  one from the states.

Steve

I powered my U.S. bought Hakko iron from a step down transformer for years.  I bought it in NYC on a work trip and it served me well.  Conveniently I moved to L.A. from Ireland so now I don't need the transformer :)

Thanks for the reply
I been to the states a few times over the years -couple of times building hours flying, and other times taking the kids to Florida, and shopping but have not been for nearly 8 years.

Will order one as they are much much cheaper in the states.

Hi does it work OK with the step-down transformer?

Will Jeff help me out ?

thanks

Typing those verifications are driving me nuts.

..I don't see any 230V versions for sale over here... I think Hakko just sends them all to Europe.

I've never opened up my HAKKO 808, but some of my Weller stuff had 230/115 options inside... Haven't looked to see if the 808 has internal options.

Hi,

I only use the 808 with a variac because I have a large one sitting around. As a rule, a variac large enough for the 808 (it's around 100 Watts from memory??) will be a lot more costly than a basic step down t/former. The most cost effective method to power a 120v 808 will be to use the transformer - I use a variac solely because I have a large one kicking around.

VFR3000 said:
Hi does it work OK with the step-down transformer?

Will Jeff help me out ?

thanks

Typing those verifications are driving me nuts.

Without any problem. 

Jeff helped me out as we have internal shipping to each other every so often. However, you can purchase it from US e-bay as they ship internationally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/808-5-808-KIT-P-P-808-KIT-Hakko-Desoldering-Gun-w-Pump-/380086641353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item587eede2c9

Here is a Chinese (probably) copy for less than half the price and for 230V with UK plug fitted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-S-993A-AC220V-90W-Electric-Vacuum-Desoldering-Pump-Solder-Sucker-Gun-450-c-/360648462554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f852d0da

just pulled mine apart, the circuit card in the handle has no obvious voltage choice terminals.  Does have calibrate and temp pots.

I took pics if you want.

It's some kind of triac switcher supply: Do we know for sure that there IS a difference between euro and us other than the plug? It seems that the spare part pcb only comes in one version? Or have I misread?

Jakob E.

Edit: but it seems to have different heating elements for 115/230 - at least from a quick googling

Well I am not plugging mine in to 220 to find out!  :mad:

On the topic of Hakko, I occasionally drop mine on it's tip.  The Tips cost $15 bucks!... but I found that nebraska surplus has them for $1.50 (mislisted as "Hakko soldering tips" but just search the site for Hakko 808 and they come up).

I bought a couple of bags of 10.. and I can say for sure that they are desoldering tips because I am using one, and now I can drop the darn thing all day long.

The smallest they have is 1.6mm

@sahib
Thanks for the links and the info - was going to take you up on your friends offer then just bought it direct. From the same place.  ;)

@SSLtech
You are right there sir, USA can only get 120vac from Hakko and EU has 240vac.

@bruce0
Can you give us a link to these cheap 'tips' please.
Thanks

@thermionic
I can see what you mean about the variac it would be large. So I will get a transformer, found one with 300Va that should do it.

Thanks to you all.

On a last note, having spoken to Paul @ DanCap - he is OK and his prices are not his to play with he Is on the end of a long supply chain and his selling and buying price is fixed.  So I should clear that up.

Buying one in the UK is £283.20 plus delivery. (429.02 US Dollar) plus Delivery. :D

As against the 246US$ delivered (£168) delivered inc duties and taxes from the good OLD US of A.  :D 8)

VFR3000 said:
@bruce0
Can you give us a link to these cheap 'tips' please.
Thanks

VFR3000

The way the nebraska surplus site works, the links go to a page, and then you have to search for the actual item. But it is easy, the page is short.  Here is the exact title for the item, and the link to the correct page.

http://www.surplussales.com/Tools-Accessories/T-Asolder.html

The exact items i purchased are:

(TLH) A1396B
(TLH) A1007B

That is what the part numbers look like at nebraska surplus.
The A1007B is a bag of 10 tips, and they are 1.6mm diameter opening, which is larger than the 1mm that the Hakko 808 comes with, but works fine for most thing, and works better for things like desoldering transformers and larger things.

I have not used the A1396B tips yet, they are really big... 2.3mm

Latest posts

Back