Storing Transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> what MVA it is?

Basic fact reporting? The newspaper? You must be joshing.

A 5,000KVA tranny is ~~21,000 pounds (plus 600 gallons oil; 10KVA no-load loss).

This lump is 26 times heavier, so 100MVA-150MVA? The largest trannies already in the system are 100 and 300MVA; the 300 is on a major river and may have floated in.

Aside from the oil that CJ mentions, there's a lot of cruft like breakers and standoff insulators which will be assembled onto it before it is a "transformer".

If 5MVA has 10KVA loss, the 100MVA may have 100KVA no-load loss. That loss is max load for ten of my house; dozens of my house at average load. But note that no-load loss is 0.1% of the tag rating. The full-load loss runs under 0.7%.

> is that thing for a Grateful Dead concert or something?

Are they touring this year?? (We get Phish 3 July, Sting 20 June, Toby Keith in september.)

Anyway there's a dead-alike band a mile down the road; I hear them every warm night. And I know they don't have over 10KVA; prolly 1KVA for the band.

Maine's wiring has been low-key ad-hoc for too long. Wasn't so long ago that one 40W in the kitchen and one 100W in the yard was typical; today we have 27 lamps all over the house, TV, microwave oven, even stoves that eat electricity for auger and fan. And southerners who come to visit in summer expect 68 deg F in their rooms even when it is 78 outside, so there's a lot of chillers in tourist traps.

Wires and iron have been under strain for a while:

Portland firefighters contain transformer fire quickly Feb. 06, 2013
6,500 Bangor residents lose power due to transformer malfunction Oct. 16, 2011
Snapped wire (and transformer fire) shuts Lincoln paper mill July 16, 2010
Fort Kent power outage (transformer exploded) affects 1,600 customers Aug. 15, 2009
Transformer fire cuts power on MDI March 17, 2008
Blown transformer knocks out electricity Jan. 03, 2005
Blown transformer cuts power in Hermon May 11, 2005
CMP transformer fire causes power outages Oct. 14, 2005
Pittsfield power outage blamed on transformer Aug. 14, 2004

And a lot of good-enuff stuff has been embarrassing. Large areas have only one wire back to generation or transmission sources. Stupid-chit, like: there's a major new 115KV wire to the tourist town. It runs through the middle of my town. But my town is not tapped off this excellent feeder. Nor is it tapped from the long end of the adjacent market town. No, we take power from a 34KV line on telegraph poles run 10 miles the wrong way through a bog before looping back to here. They hadda replace a culvert along the way and left us dead most of a day. (And not the day announced in the back of the paper.) That's two inexpensive cross-connects which would make us over-redundant, but the time isn't ripe yet.

Californians will chuckle: most of Maine's "long" lines have been 115KV or less, run on tall wood sticks. As you know, you can't move real juice without a MegaVolt and steel towers. We are getting 345KV lines, finally. There's a fair amount of low-cost juice north of the border, and we hope to tap some of that without drowning in line-losses.

Back