Modded Apex 460 making crackling/popping noises

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillerV

I have an Apex 460 that has been modded with a Peluso C12-type capsule, a Peluso BV11P transformer and a NOS RCA 6072 tube. I've had the mic for about a year-and-a-half and it sounds beautiful. I have, however, recently noticed that it starts making crackle/popping noises a while after I've powered it up. The noises stop when I wiggle the mic cable right at the mic a little and is usually fine for the rest of the session, but it's still damn annoying to have to deal with this. Any idea what could be going on?

if you wiggle it and the crackle goes away, Sounds to me like a connection issue or joint issue.  Are you using the original multipin cable that came with it? I would replace that or at the very least put on a new end.

The physical connection appears to be at fault.  the problem is going to be in the female multipin xlr that connects to the mic. I have had it where the female holes are the wrong size, slightly too big, making for pins that do not fit securely causing the exact problem you speak.  I suggest you replace the end connector with a quality one like a neutrik and not not some knockoff. 

Back