EQ ONE - by Total Audio Control / NOW ALSO AVAILABLE IN BLACK

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two recent modifications to EQ ONE.

Firstly, a cut/boost range switch is incorporated to each of the four bands. This allows the range to be selected between 5dB and 15dB. At 5dB setting the cut/boost can be set in steps of 0.5dB.

1654375310523.jpeg

Secondly, although EQ ONE is a mono unit it occupies two slots. So, the second slot would normally be unused. I now have designed a universal line amp card which is fitted inside the EQ ONE and uses the second previously unused slot. As the line amp has its own separate input/output (XLR) any module can be routed to it for additional colouring. Below picture shows the first version of the line amp card fitted with a Neve output tx and BBC LL81 input tx.

1654375352359.jpeg

However, the final version of the line amp card is universal with variety of input/output transformer options. It also has both DIL and DOA op-amp footprints.

For the output tx the board has an aperture for UTC A series ( I have got fixing brackets for that ) as default. However, I have also designed a number of daughter boards to accept others. The output tx is hard wired to the board through headers. The input transformer footprint again allows a variety of mountings.

1654376992539.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi All,

Does anyone have any feedback on its sound?

Would this be suitable for 2 Bus or Mastering? Is this more of a tracking/mixing unit than a mastering unit?

What configuration/cards would be best for Mastering applications?

Is there a way to link this for stereo operations?

Thank you.

Hi All,

Does anyone have any feedback on its sound?

Would this be suitable for 2 Bus or Mastering? Is this more of a tracking/mixing unit than a mastering unit?

What configuration/cards would be best for Mastering applications?

Is there a way to link this for stereo operations?

Thank you.
I've just built 2 units for tracking/mixing purposes. I added the cut/boost mod, but not the line amp. If you're in Sydney, I'd be happy to give you a listen.

Cheers,

Thank you Walshy.

@ canidoit,

There is no such mechanism for linking two mono eqs for stereo operation in the way you would do for compressors.

However, in general two mono units are preferred over a single stereo unit as the standard potentiometer tolerance is 20% which would compromise the stereo image. May be with 5% tolerance pots but they are very expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks Walshy for the offer.

@sahib, is calibrating this unit easy and does it require any specific tools for precise matching?

I am considering using a stereo pair for mastering purpose?

Would you say this is more of a transparent, precise or musical smooth EQ?

Thanks all for the replies!

Hi canidoit,

Thank you too.

EQ ONE requires no calibration.

It has all the qualities you mentioned. A recent client's comment is " this eq works on everything we threw at it". They auditioned it against a number of EQs including two very major brands and placed an order for 16 channels.

Latest posts

Back