M-audio Audiophile 192 and Ubuntu linux

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Not sure which category is best for this but because it does not work I thought trouble shooting was appropriate.

I have an M-audio audiophile 192 card in my PC which is running Ubuntu Linux. It's ideal as a means of feeding tracks through new circuits like EQs and recording the results. I had this working once on both outputs and inputs a few months back, but now I cannot seem to get a peep out of it. I know there  are some issues with pulse audio but I cannot seem to find a concise set of steps to go through or a suitable utitlity to get this card working under Ubuntu. Can anyone help? I am running Ubuntu 12 something, the LTS version.

Cheers

Ian

keefaz said:
Do you have envy24control installed ?
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/quantal/alsa-tools-gui/

Not those ones but I have Mudita24 which is a Gnome equivalent. Run from a terminal it reports not ICE1712 cards found.

Installed the alsa gui tools and get the same results. Strange thing is Ubuntu knows the card is there as does Audacity.

Cheers

ian

I don't know what module this card uses then. Mine is a m-audio 2496 and it works with ICE1712. I don't use Ubuntu, my OS is Slackware and there is an alsa tool to configure the card : /usr/sbin/alsaconf

Maybe your system detects the card and loads appropriate sound module, should be visible with output of /sbin/lsmod

keefaz said:
I don't know what module this card uses then. Mine is a m-audio 2496 and it works with ICE1712. I don't use Ubuntu, my OS is Slackware and there is an alsa tool to configure the card : /usr/sbin/alsaconf

Maybe your system detects the card and loads appropriate sound module, should be visible with output of /sbin/lsmod

Ah, the penny drops. I used to be a Slacker some years ago until I was seduced by the slickness of Ubuntu and have now forgotten many of the command line tricks I knew then. Anyway, lsmod revelas the chip is an ice1724. There seems to be no such thing as alsaconf in this version of Ubuntu but I so have alsactl but that for configuring drivers rather than the card itself.

Cheers

Ian

Sorry, I meant configure the sound driver with alsaconf, not the card

But this step is already set as your sound module is loaded.
From quick googlin, it seems the ICE1724 chipset is different than the ICE1712 that's why the gui tools won't work with it (envy24control and Mudita24)

There is always /usr/bin/alsamixer that can control the card I/O, you press TAB key to switch PLAY, CAPTURE channels sets, mute/unmute channels with M key and arrows keys to navigate.

I found alsamixer when running thru the various alsa commands in  a terminal. I tried it and managed to find the card and tweak a few things but without success. I did not know about the tab and m conmmands though; I'll try them out.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Ian

Success!!1

In alsamixer I set H/W[PCM Out]

Do nothing to H/W1

By the way the M key seems to do nothing

In Audcacity select (hw 1,0) for both output and input.

Once again many thanks for the help.

Cheers

Ian

keefaz said:
Great ! I think you can store the mixer settings with (running as root user):

/usr/sbin/alsactl store

OK, thanks for the tip. There's no root user as such in Ubuntu but you just use sudo instead for root privilege ops.

Cheers

Ian

Back