GSSL European Builders Enclosures/Meters etc

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWolfman

Hi guys,

I had a couple of queries regarding the enclosures and metering for the GSSL build.

Firstly I would like to incorperate the original meter from the SSL mixbuss as thats what I've always been used to using and I've come across two options as because you probably all know the original Sifam PPM 14 meter is out of production.

These two options are:

A) A Presentor 19 FR19B from Sifam which Canford Audio say than get hold of for me which seems to be the closest equivalent Sifam do to the original PPM 14.

B) Buying a replacement meter directly from SSL:

http://store.solidstatelogic.com/catalog/50

It mentions that this meter is only suitable for G Compressors made after November 2010.Not sure why this is?Maybe someone can enlighten me?Surely with a bit of circuit tweeking it should be fine for the GSSL no?

Secondly I am looking at getting a custom front panel made for the build and am looking at getting this manufactured by FrontPanel Express:

http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/index.php?id=97&L=1

I was wondering if anyone knew a good source for a relatively cheap 19" rack enclosure which would be compatible with a Front Panel manufactured by FrontPanel Express.

Any help, recommendations and insights from experienced builders would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Wolf,

Yeah the original PPM14's are as rare as hens teeth now, VERY expensive anyway, too much IMHO

Hairball Audio does something that looks similar to PPM14 in the white market and there are some nice cases/FP's there
too from Dan and others.

If you go with FP express, you can define the case size and attachment bolt position when you order it, or just
drill and countersink it yourself.  ( drawings on the Modushop site )
Modushop are great cases from Italy, quite reasonable prices, perhaps get 2 or 3 to save on postage for a
single case.
They do 1U /2U / 3U etc and two depths also - go for a slightly deeper one, getting cramped in a case is NO fun !!

Regards,
Marty.

Thanks Marty!

Haven't heard about Modushop,will check them out.

Yer it was just with the front panel express designer software it just gives you the option to add the mounting holes for either a Fischer or Schroff enclosure and I haven't investigated the software far enough to work out how to get the correct positioning for other enclosures.

Oh wow,just checked the Hairball audio one,looks spot on!I never realised they made these.I suspect that the meter behaviours with a more VU characteristic than PPM though maybe?

Also Bryant Unlimited for cases if you haven't seen them already.

http://www.bryant-unlimited.co.uk/RB1%20100

Gareth

TheWolfman said:
Thanks Marty!

Oh wow,just checked the Hairball audio one,looks spot on!I never realised they made these.I suspect that the meter behaviours with a more VU characteristic than PPM though maybe?

You're welcome :)

Hairball looks pretty spot on to me too, original PPM14 was well over £100 a piece !
Needles are never going to be SO accurate as a gain reduction indication, in the ball park
but I just ignore them and use my ears anyway !!
M.

Latest posts

Back