Post Your Studio/Setup

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braeden

I'm interested to see everyone's studio set up no matter how big or small, DIY gear or not... also what kind of work you're doing in there.
I managed to get my hands on a decent camera today so I thought I'd take a photo of the studio I am currently working at based in Sydney, Australia.

This picture is taken from the drum booth with my drum kit set up in there, it's not actually set up to record at the moment.
iZ0sCzV.jpg

I mainly use the studio for TV/radio/post-production. It is primarily digital, with a few bits and pieces of outboard gear in there at the moment (Distressors/1176's/API 3124).
I would say most of the equipment in there serves only to modify the sound in a transparent manner.

Well that's me out of the way, I will try and get a decent photo of the control room at some point. The desk is a C24 (Avid).

Braeden

Hi braeden! I'm etheory, and I produce electronic music.

My last release was all the production/mixing/mastering/composing/co-writing of this album:
http://leesafar.bandcamp.com/album/laundry-after-midnight

I have also posted a lot of material here:
https://soundcloud.com/evolutionarytheory

I work from the spare room of a modest Sydney apartment on my own and sometimes contracted compositions.
You can see an SB4000 I built (my first kit for myself; I'd built loads of stuff for other people before that), and out of sight under the table are some currently un-racked 2 x NTP 179-400 limiters, 2 x Siemens Sitral U274 commanders, and a Neumann v475-2a.

I am also working on various custom projects of my own design/re-design at the moment, meaning this room is currently filled with labelled boxes of parts ;)

Anyway here 'tis (with me tweaking the bassline of a tune on an Oberheim SEM-Pro):

Attachments

• _MG_0940.jpg
    _MG_0940.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 181
Sounds great,
I really want to get my hands on some Neumann V475 modules because I've heard great things about them.

Your set up looks super clean and looks like a great space to get things done.

Thanks for posting ;)
Braeden

Here is where I work, iphone grainy photo and a bit messy !!

Behind me are sofas and the room is about 30 sq m

Marty.

150480760.jpg

150480762.jpg

150480763.jpg

If you're interested, I use an SSL X-Desk, Nucleus, Adam A7X and Genelec 2029 digital monitors.
Mac Pro, Logic / PooTools and Reason.
Roland JP80, Virus Ti2, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Nova, Oberheim Matrix1000
Roland JV2080, Korg TR Rack.
In left rack, Green Pre's, SSL9k, Stereo Pico comp, RNC & Summit TLA50 below 1176 & Marshall JMP
LEft top, Dave Smith Mofo & Tetra, Moogerfoogers and Doepfer Dark Energy patched
together CV from an Arturia Minibrute analog synth.

some pics can be seen here:

www.panorama-tonstudio.de

the Desk is out of an old east-German recording truck. Were recording some of the Jazz concerts in the same building. And do some other more local stuff.

How do you guys mostly make your money? Is it from producing, recording, video or film, VO, etc?

Is recording your main source of income or you have another job?

What the hell, I'll bite on this one. Here's a picture of our A room with owner Stephen Finley. Lots of DIY gear in our racks.

Attachments

• IMG-20130131-00149.jpg
    IMG-20130131-00149.jpg
    975.4 KB · Views: 187
Hi, I'm new n thought this might be an introduction. I'm in the process of DIY-ing the soundcraft ghost mod as per creation audio labs. bought a manual from em n got the parts from digikey. This project has sparked a huge DIY interest in me because I have some great synths but my audio stream could use some serious improvement. I cant wait to start raising the bar for my entire studio by building more great audio gear myself and replacing some of the junk I'm using now. (pardon the mess)

What a fantastic setup Fubard! I am very jealous 8) - actually all the setups shown here are amazing.
What are the details of your Ghost-desk upgrade?

Nice gear fubard :)

Had a number of the analog synths you have, though I had a P5 not a P10

All sold when they were totally "out of fashion" I'm afraid ,,,,, yes I am that old !!

Marty.

Thanks for the good vibes everyone! it's really sad you got rid of your synths Mart, luckily my uncle was a pack rat n hung on to the prophet. He gave it to me when I turned 21 :) The Minimoog I picked up broken for cheap , got it fixed and refinished the horribly jacked wood w high gloss. Very high gloss. I cut the wood furniture for the juno60 out of a big ol hunk o walnut n finished it same way. High gloss all the way!

The Ghost is undergoing the mod as dictated by the manual I bought from Creation Audio Labs. Basically caps are replaced w better quality Panasonic FM caps of higher values and the op amps are replaced w mostly BB & Analog Devices chips. Theres a lot more info on their website; I'd feel terrible sharing too much of their info since they're such a small shop and have been so openly supportive to me along the way, even though I'm doing it myself. If you email em they'll offer you a manual, its real clear and worth every penny, AND they'll help you w any troubles. I really wish I'd recorded some simple synth stabs n stuff so I could A/B but theres a lot of good feedback on it. I'm down to the last two channels and am waiting on a few more caps. (didn't calculate for mistakes) I'll let y'all know how it sounds once I'm done. Hopefully it works :p

EDIT--- oh n I also built the desks (doors), racks, acoustic paneling, the neat lil riser for Machine and the vented subwoofer w a mostly linear freq response down to 34hz. Thanks winISD!

Hey Marty whats that controller beneath your computer screens, the one w 16 faders? looks like something I might like :)

Fubard said:
Hey Marty whats that controller beneath your computer screens, the one w 16 faders? looks like something I might like :)

It's an SSL Nucleus, total control of Logic/Pro Tools/Reason etc etc.
Also has 2 x SSL mic pre's and USB recording / spdif etc.... VERY nice but a little expensive.

MM.

Have been stalling the making of a homepage for years now. Turned out VERY easy with iWeb for Mac and even cheaper than my old email account. Got it together today: www.palsvenre.se. Finally! Posting one of the pics here...

Attachments

• PaulsStudio1LoRes.jpg
    PaulsStudio1LoRes.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 88

Latest posts

Back