Riggler's and Tskguy's M49 / M50 bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paid for two @$285 = $570.
Not sure exactly how many bodies got paid for that never arrived, but I'll take a guess. First and second runs on page 1 show 28 which makes for $7980.
That's a significant amount of money to take off with.

I agree this is not right and shouldn't just be just a 'oh well' situation - I'm disappointed he dropped out of touch with people who paid him regardless of the difficulties he encountered with the project.

I believe Riggler's real name was Damian Righi and he used [email protected] for the paypal.
His last email was [email protected] but I haven't gotten a response when I've emailed.
He had a webpage that is now defunct for a righi recording and he at one time was associated with Northhampton Community college.
https://www.northampton.edu/academics/faculty-directory/righi-damian.htm

Still so hard to know what’s really going on for people. If we knew the story we might go “OH that makes so much sense!”

But to your points, you’ve all paid for product that you have not received and that’s not right.

Has anyone asked Eric (tskguy)  about this?

Eric (tskguy) has posted that he was no longer involved in this project.

I agree we don't know what's going on for him, but his last post here made it sound like he was still working on this. Then he disappeared with a whole lot of our money. No explanation.

Maybe when you pay for a group buy of something you assume some risk if it doesn't work out - like how the first run had a lot of quality problems. But at a minimum we deserve an explanation and maybe an 'imperfect' mic body if that's where the money went. Not vanishing.

Agreed.

Another M49 body maker is struggling, but he at least keeps people somewhat informed of status. But his project is dragging a lot too.

The last we heard from Riggler was  March 02, 2016. That's over a year ago. That project is dead.
Aputis has spent all his money and can't get the bodies back from the platers. He is repeating  "I need another month" over and over, but he does not present any plan on how to get his bodies back. I've given up and I think that project is dead to.
The only remaning player in this M49 game is BeesNeez Microphones. When I can buy a M49 body off the shelf from "mics", I will do so. I will not spend any more money on vaporware.

Stellin,

My project is not dead. Please check some new updates in "Microphones".
Without your trust and patience I would have never be able to start it all.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Andriejus,

It has now been twenty months since I paid for two M49 bodies.

I'm sitting here with two PSUs, lots of tested tubes and several K49 capsules.
The M49 mics was supposed to be MY next project after finishing two C12s and three U47s.

I still have hopes that someday you will deliver my M49 bodies, but I can't sit around and wait for that any longer.
I know that you are a good guy and that you will do your best to deliver what people have payed for.

Maybe "dead" was to strong a word, but at least the M49 project is sleeping.  I hope it will wake up again.
And, don't worry: I'm not going to ask for a refund.

I want to move forward again with my M49 project, and the only way that will happen (I think) is to try to get a couple of bodies from somewhere else.

And, when and if your bodies arrives, I have the parts to build two more M49 microphones.  I'm sure they will be beautiful mics. :)

stelin said:
The last we heard from Riggler was  March 02, 2016. That's over a year ago. That project is dead.
Aputis has spent all his money and can't get the bodies back from the platers. He is repeating  "I need another month" over and over, but he does not present any plan on how to get his bodies back. I've given up and I think that project is dead to.
The only remaning player in this M49 game is BeesNeez Microphones. When I can buy a M49 body off the shelf from "mics", I will do so. I will not spend any more money on vaporware.

As far as I know, AMI is still offering M49 bodies.  I have a couple from them and love them.  Not sure why they are largely ignored as an option on this site as they  have been the most reliable supplier of these items.

Bowie said:
As far as I know, AMI is still offering M49 bodies.  I have a couple from them and love them.  Not sure why they are largely ignored as an option on this site as they  have been the most reliable supplier of these items.
Yeah, I love my AMI m49 body mic. I was so happy to pay a little extra for it and have it show up in 3 days!, after waiting for 12 months for another diy u47 start up body maker who hadn't got it together, and eventually refunded me. Keep in mind that Poctop's m49 pcb's didn't fit the AMI bodies that I got a year ago. I used plexi discs.

bruno2000 said:
I, too, sent in $$$ and have nothing to show.  Maybe someday.........  I'm pretty sure Riggler fell on hard times, but that doesn't excuse lack of communication.  I don't know how much Tksguy has to do with the project.  As to legal options, you can't get blood out of a rock.
It's too bad when we get ripped off by forum members.  It gives everyone a bad taste, although the majority will bend over backwards to make a transaction right.
Best,
Bruno2000

Bruno:

With all due respect, I think it may be a little unfair to call it a "rip off".  I too am out the money for 1 body, but I think what happened here is that what was attempted was for whatever reason beyond the abilities of the folks that attempted it.  There are rip-offs that happen here, but I don't think this was one of them.  They are stuck, and apparently they cannot afford to buy their way out.  But I do believe they made the attempt, had several management, vendor and design problems and got crushed under the weight of the situation.

I just want to say that I am very disappointed and would like it if they could get some bodies into our hands ( I think they shipped a couple of dozen... but my order was just out of the first bunch).  But I am not ready to condemn the behavior, I think they failed.  And that happens sometimes.

bb

bruce0 said:
Bruno:

With all due respect, I think it may be a little unfair to call it a "rip off".  I too am out the money for 1 body, but I think what happened here is that what was attempted was for whatever reason beyond the abilities of the folks that attempted it.  There are rip-offs that happen here, but I don't think this was one of them.  They are stuck, and apparently they cannot afford to buy their way out.  But I do believe they made the attempt, had several management, vendor and design problems and got crushed under the weight of the situation.

I just want to say that I am very disappointed and would like it if they could get some bodies into our hands ( I think they shipped a couple of dozen... but my order was just out of the first bunch).  But I am not ready to condemn the behavior, I think they failed.  And that happens sometimes.

bb

I call it a rip when someone refuses to man-up, and just chooses to disappear with our $$$ without any explanation.
YMMV
Best,
Bruno2000

bruce0 said:
Bruno:

With all due respect, I think it may be a little unfair to call it a "rip off". 

I'm comfortable calling it a rip off after looking at the total money paid that never had a mic delivered.  Thousands of dollars. I'm sure they did have some sunk costs and might have gotten in over their heads, but they never disclosed any details of it. How much was spent, etc...  that's not how legitimate things work.

Sometimes people have mental or emotional problems they can’t solve. It’s hard to know without having the details.

I believe this venture started honorably. Same thing with the other M49 body guy who hasn’t delivered.

Phrazemaster said:
Sometimes people have mental or emotional problems they can’t solve. It’s hard to know without having the details.

I believe this venture started honorably. Same thing with the other M49 body guy who hasn’t delivered.

Yep, they start honorably all right, but where does the honor go when the project implodes?  It's not just the $$$, it's the lack of integrity.
Best,
Bruno2000

bruno2000 said:
Yep, they start honorably all right, but where does the honor go when the project implodes?  It's not just the $$$, it's the lack of integrity.
Best,
Bruno2000
Agreed....and...maybe he’s having emotional problems. Normality goes out the window then.

I don’t blame you for being angry.

I purchased three of these in the first run and they were eventually delivered. I insisted on delivery at the time and explained that I would take them as is and be happy with it. They are definitely solid but the screw holes are not all lined up the same and there are some tolerance issues between the mic's. Overall they are nice and solid and work well for a custom one off each. I'm glad I paid up and was persistent with requesting delivery.

I requested mine to be delivered without any plating so all was gucci when I hit them hard w/blowtorch distressing and ammonia patina - blackened coating and some rust build up - then several clear coat and some buffing to lock it all in. They look like they were maybe sitting at the bottom of the ocean for a couple centuries :)

I used a $10 hard ring mount swivel mount which works very well with a binder chassis mount connector and provides adequate positioning capability as well as secure stand mounting.

If there are any left that may be available from the first run I would purchase more.

The brass is soft enough if you need to drill or re-tap mounting holes.

Cheers!
-jb

It is indeed a rip-off to take dozens of peoples money equaling in the thousands then disappear and keep said money.

I just saw this.  New addition to studio 939 catalog.  I will go this route.  http://store.studio939.com/product/cu-49-microphone-body-kit

I am sure AMI is fantastic, but the body alone is something in the neighborhood of 425 dollars.  That makes the mic far too expensive for me as a kit.  I suppose if I only build two and I want them to be top notch, I could see that.  Perhaps down the road I will replace the body from 939 with it, but if the 939 is made right, it'll be functionally just as good.

What really annoys me about all this is I made about 25 a few years ago and delivered all of them, then riggler cam along and took over and my hopes of doing more were quashed!
I feel so sorry for everyone who didn’t get their mic.
Whatever personal reasons they have of doing this they should still try and pay everyone back .

Back