AKG C414 project recommendations>

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randallizer

Hi guys. Long term reader, first time poster.

I recently found a C414 at a garage sale. Its been hacked about, with the baody casing now missing and the components smashed around a bit. The capsule, however, seems to be in great condition. It's not an original brass CK12, but instead of simply taking it off and selling it, I'd like to build my own mic. I'm pretty capable with a soldering iron and have a budget of around $300.

Pics of the "mic" below

ahlbERO,yiV9wuv
ahlbERO,yiV9wuv

Hi James

Thanks for that. I had a feeling that the C12 would be the way to go.

In my collection I also have two 414 EBs with the brass CK12 capsules, as well as an original 414 with the brass capsule too. Is it worth me considering swapping the teflon cap from the battered 414 for the original 414's brass one, which I could then put in the clone?

I realise this would devalue the original 414, but with two 414 EB's alrteady, I don't feel i'd be missing out.

It sounds like a good idea. You can always put them back to their original condition later, if you wanted/needed to. You should post some sound samples of your C12 clone with a real C12 capsule when you get it done. I think we would all like to hear that.

-James-

Indeed, it'd be very interesting to hear! Even better if someone has an original to bring to my shop for an A/B

I've a feeling I'm going to get addicted to this cloning malarkey though...

Latest posts

Back