Drip STA Level build (now finished !)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majestic12

A few month ago I decided to build a Sta Level compressor with the pcb from drip electronics. The case is from collectivecases.com
It thought I'd get the Sta Level micro pcb (just the main circuit without power supply), but they weren't available any more and replaced by the full pcb.

The pcb is so big that you really don't have a choice of where you put it in the case.... and unfortunately you are forced to make some very impractical wireing (concerning mains voltage etc.) and deal with small clearances etc.

But it can be done :)

feffyv.jpg

The fontpanel is very nice. I used a Simpson meter and some very authentic looking knobs

fxgu1t.jpg

You can see that the pcb forces you to have parts of the power supply (HT choke etc..) near the frontpanel, which I don't really like

25648w9.jpg

The output pad is not part of the main pcb and soldered to a small piece of pcb near to the xlr sockets

2wce9dy.jpg

Another view from the top

1dxzr6.jpg

Here's the expensive 6386 tube from JJ. It comes in a little foam box ( just like the jewels for your girlfriend  :) )

4gj8tw.jpg

I tried to seperate the mains wires to the power switch as best as possible. In addition I covered the wires with some extra shielding tube.

Can somebody help me with the screws for the simpson meter tabs? Since I'm from Germany it's kinda hard for me :D

The datasheet sais that I need 1/4" - 28 bolts for the studs.

What I have are 1/4" - 20 UNC  as well as 1/4" - 28 UNF bolts but none of them fit. Is there another size inbetween that I don't know ?

EDIT: Problem solved. Both studs were slightly miscut, I had do do it again with a cutting tool. Seems almost as if their tool wasn't perfect when they made the studs, they were both slightly oversized.

This makes me want to build one so bad.  I have heard from a few guys that they sound amazing once finished. 

My list keeps growing.  Ugh

The sound is great, just like I'd expected it. Also the hum and noisefloor is extremely low.

The only thing that bothers me is the slow release times. I think I will modifiy the time constants that it will swing back faster.
The slower setting is completely unusable (it takes almost 25 seconds to get from -30dB back to zero)....

My B+ voltage is only 260V instead of 300V.  I'm using a NOS 5y3gt rectifier tube, I should probably swap that against some recent models from JJ or Sovtec or change for a 5AR4. Does anybody have experience with this ?

Hi,
Would you possibly be able to provide the exact part number for the Simpson meter, and a contact person from where you bought it?
It seems very hard to find where to buy these
Cheers,
Anthony

I was asked how I have done the release time mod. It's just a bunch of resistors added in parallel through a rotary switch  to R36 (4,7M) on the main pcb to lo lower its total value. The lower you get the faster the release time will be.

I think I used the following values:

nothing (stock release time)
3M
1M
180K (fastest release time)

I didn't want to drill an additional hole in the stock frontpanel, so I decided to add the resistors in a small external box that is connected through the back panel of the main unit.

Latest posts

Back