New toy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyMart

;)

150583058.jpg

Fluke 179 .... Looooverly !!

M.

Nice!  I have one very old good Fluke meter, and about 5 of the $9.95 POS meters.  When one goes bad, into the bin.
Best,
Bruno2000

That's the single most important tool I have. Although lately I've been wanting a bit more range in resistance and capacitance, both directions.

Try not to burn either of the current protection fuses. Gets expensive quick.

MartyMart said:
Fluke 179 .... Looooverly !!

I have a 179 at home and a 175 at work. For some reason the 179 eats batteries (as compared to the 175) if you don't turn it off. Yes, it goes into auto-shutdown mode.

Other than that, it's great.

-a

> making my rat shack VOM feel inadequate... 

My RadioShed VOM is not jealous of my Fluke. It (and my Simpson) will read voltages without a battery.

The Fluke does tell me my power line is 60.0Hz..... but it really can't be anything else. (I'm near a power nexus so it is nearly impossible I could be "islanded", fed by just one dynamo.)

JohnRoberts said:
You're making my rat shack VOM feel inadequate...  ;D

JR

HA HA :)
Oh, I have a couple of "Rat Shack" DMM's that were only £5.99 .... they actually do almost everything I need, this
was a bit of a luxury "impulse" buy !! ( brand new in box at a great price )
So far it adds a capacitance test, better range on Ohms test, continuity beep, much more accurate and built like a tank.
.... oh and a lifetime warranty.

Did that cover the 20x price ?? :-\ :-\

I figured that after 7 years using a £5.99 DMM and an £8.99 soldering iron, I had my monies worth and it was
time for something a bit more "pro" .... shame my skills don't match these tools eh !! ??

MartyMart said:
JohnRoberts said:
You're making my rat shack VOM feel inadequate...  ;D

JR

HA HA :)
Oh, I have a couple of "Rat Shack" DMM's that were only £5.99 .... they actually do almost everything I need, this
was a bit of a luxury "impulse" buy !! ( brand new in box at a great price )
So far it adds a capacitance test, better range on Ohms test, continuity beep, much more accurate and built like a tank.
.... oh and a lifetime warranty.

Did that cover the 20x price ?? :-\ :-\

I figured that after 7 years using a £5.99 DMM and an £8.99 soldering iron, I had my monies worth and it was
time for something a bit more "pro" .... shame my skills don't match these tools eh !! ??
Apparently I have the "premium" version Rat Shack DMM...More like a $20 purchase over a decade ago.  It has beeps and capacitance, and Hz and one range I don't even know how to use (EF?).  8)

I have had to use toy meters before in a crunch and they are prone to erroneous readings that can make them worthless for troubleshooting.  While the rat shack meter is far from an object of envy, it hasn't disappointed me, yet (knock wood). 

JR

Latest posts

Back