Source for aluminum extrusions similar to Modushop

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corusco

I'm looking to source the side rail extrusions that Modushop uses in their Slimline and Galaxy cases.  The T-slots and RU formatted widths would be very useful in several projects that I have for myself and clients.  I showed a picture of the profile to my usual supplier and he just sort of shrugged.

I'm aware that Modu sells the rails themselves, but they're already anodized and at a bit of a premium.  Has anyone else seen these available in quantity from industrial suppliers?

Indeed.

I can't manage to find a dimensioned cross-section drawing, but the attached image shows it pretty well.

Attachments

• base_interna2.jpg
    base_interna2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 70
Corusco said:
Has anyone else seen these available in quantity from industrial suppliers?

The Modushop website is just a front for an industrial supplier that they really are. You can work out all kinds of bigger custom deals with them.

Corusco said:
I'm looking to source the side rail extrusions that Modushop uses in their Slimline and Galaxy cases.  The T-slots and RU formatted widths would be very useful in several projects that I have for myself and clients.  I showed a picture of the profile to my usual supplier and he just sort of shrugged.

I'm aware that Modu sells the rails themselves, but they're already anodized and at a bit of a premium.  Has anyone else seen these available in quantity from industrial suppliers?

I tooled up an extrusion with Alcoa several years ago. Cost concerns are the size of the die (your part looks like it will fit in a few inch circle) and the fact that Alcoa doesn't want to turn on the extruder for less than 500# so probably not a viable option for typical hobby/DIY.

If it's exactly what you need I'd pay the premium and be happy, or keep searching. 

If you are not competing with them, they might consider giving you a price break if you buy a large pile at once, or perhaps uncut extrusion that you can cut to your own length as needed.  If they only sell one color extrusion they probably get it all anodized at once. If they offer different colors you may be able to buy raw aluminum extrusion from them. 

JR

This is just a follow-up for anyone else that might be interested in this now or in the future.  I've been in contact with Modu's parent company HiFi2000.  The profile is their custom design made for them in Italy.  They were willing to sell it to me in longer lengths, but said the freight costs would have been too much to ship to me in the US.  If I were in Europe we could have worked it out. 

Thanks to everyone for taking a look at this and offering your suggestions.

If you buy enough of it you might still be able to ship it by slow boat (surface) cost effectively. You may want to cut it in half from raw extruded lengths to be more manageable to pack. 

I suspect somebody in the US has tooled up a similar extrusion. Keep looking.

JR

Back