Getting hooked on 3D modeling/printing. Let's see your stuff!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini86

Some of you guys saw my 3d printed transformer (plate choke) bobbin that I had made at shapeways.

Well, I was up pretty late last night with this crazy idea, I ordered one last night from shapeways and I'm hoping it works the way I intended...

e7xPsb0.png

(Picture generated by maxwell render free version)

It's a VU meter faceplate that mimics the styling of the Sifam AL-15, but it is made to fit over the generic (chinese) 34mm round VU meters often found on eBay. It will come to me in a polished, raw white material, all ready for some black paint. I'll keep this thread updated once it has been manufactured and in my hands.

Anyone else here fool around in amatuer product design/engeneering? I'm pretty sure it would be my dream day job, as I love modeling mechanical parts/objects but I don't have the money to go to school for it.

Let's get some more 3D models in here, show us your stuff!

I designed a 2 piece clamshell injection molded package for my drum tuner using 3d turbocad.

I did order a 3D printer SLA prototype to test for fit before cutting tool steel.

reso_2_2.gif

I don't know if you can tell from the picture but the package is two identical mirror image plastic parts that mate together. You can see the seam midway on both sides. 

JR

I have a couple ideas for items that would only be cost effective if injection molded... how does one even find out what it costs for tooling setup etc? It there an online company that has some sort of quote system for that?

I know emachineshop does some injection molding but my attempts to import my models have been less than successful and their software is just not easy to use for 3d modeling. (at least for me... again, some schooling would help.)

gemini86 said:
I have a couple ideas for items that would only be cost effective if injection molded... how does one even find out what it costs for tooling setup etc? It there an online company that has some sort of quote system for that?

I know emachineshop does some injection molding but my attempts to import my models have been less than successful and their software is just not easy to use for 3d modeling. (at least for me... again, some schooling would help.)

You basically have to find someone to build you a mold and then run parts for you.  Most companies will quote both mold/tooling costs and piece price based on a solid model or drawing and a MOQ.  Simple single cavity molds that I've seen prices for usually start at around $5000 just for the mold. 

I sometimes help with this process for my job so I'm not able to reveal any companies that we use, but most of them are in China anyway.

gemini86 said:
Tooling up IM parts is still pretty expensive and more than just coming up with a 3 d model. There are draft angles and clearances that must be factored into the design process.  Gates for the plastic flow, etc.

I think the part cost pretty much comes down to the weight or amount of the raw plastic used with some overhead for machine time. Small parts are often put into multiple cavity tools so you get 10 or 20 parts for each machine cycle. So clearly there is a tradeoff for small parts between higher tool cost for lower machine time.  And they don't want to heat up the machine for small runs. I'm still using parts from my first production run.  I recall some monster tools for knobs making 20-30 at a time.

The cost is much better than it used to be since there a lots of companies in china with N/C tooling capability, but it isn't trivial to work directly with China. I worked with a IM plastic company in TX, who used their established contacts in China, so i dealt in dollars and English. 

I paid to have my tool made in China then shipped to TX where we push plastic through it.

These days with 3D printing getting cheaper, low volume parts probably will stay being printed.

JR

I worked for a company that had a large IM operation.  They had in-house machine shops across multiple facilities which were extensive in capabilities and experienced machinists.

As the previous comments have said it's very cost prohibitive to get into IM.  Best bet is to become good buddies with a machinist of which has a properly outfitted shop.  Bring lots of beers over  ;D

gemeni86 one possible alternative is to create the mold yourself and use casting resins.  There are some resins with a 90D harness.  It's not polypropylene, but if we compare the upfront cost of a polypropylene IM system vs a DIY RTV/resin system you might find it worth considering.

In fact, as I'm trying to source a vendor for transformer parts, I stumbled upon a recent post of yours regarding a transformer bobbin you commissioned from a commercial 3D printer outfit.  This gave me the idea to try molding some transformer bobbins.  Thanks for that!! 

I actually found one online service which seems to have a decent startup cost for tooling. For example, the faceplate in my first post would be a level two mold, being that It would need cavities in both halves of the mold, starting at 1640usd. They don't mention how many parts you get.

MicDaddy said:
I worked for a company that had a large IM operation.  They had in-house machine shops across multiple facilities which were extensive in capabilities and experienced machinists.

As the previous comments have said it's very cost prohibitive to get into IM.  Best bet is to become good buddies with a machinist of which has a properly outfitted shop.  Bring lots of beers over  ;D

gemeni86 one possible alternative is to create the mold yourself and use casting resins.  There are some resins with a 90D harness.  It's not polypropylene, but if we compare the upfront cost of a polypropylene IM system vs a DIY RTV/resin system you might find it worth considering.

In fact, as I'm trying to source a vendor for transformer parts, I stumbled upon a recent post of yours regarding a transformer bobbin you commissioned from a commercial 3D printer outfit.  This gave me the idea to try molding some transformer bobbins.  Thanks for that!!

Yeah I'm pretty sure that 3D printing will become standard for low volume production. It just makes sense. I'll be sticking to that for my own needs.

Just a word of caution, give your bobbin extra clearance from the core, I had problems with shrinkage on my parts and had to sand a bit.

Not 3D printing but a mixture of conventional milling/turning and vacuum forming. All working prototypes. Pretty old jobs though.

http://www.robotica.co.uk/ozturk/engineering/bottle_telephone.htm

http://www.robotica.co.uk/ozturk/engineering/crown_cap.htm

http://www.robotica.co.uk/ozturk/engineering/football_cd.htm

http://www.robotica.co.uk/ozturk/engineering/breathing_vent.htm

Just saw this. I have been working with a delta arm 3d printer for a little while now and have worked out a 1/4" shaft collet for large knobs and I am in the midst of an 1/8" shat design. I have also printed speaker chambers and will eventually get to printing entire speaker cabinets for small 1 way and 2 way systems. I'll get a picture if anyone is interested.

don

are you meaning to cover these meters?
if you are i am totally interested and will need 40 covers! but for my needs they will need to be no wider than 39-40mm, i like the idea of 3d printing!
oh la la!

Attachments

• !BykG91QBmk~$(KGrHqR,!jYEw45yVZQTBMSP68kTm!~~_3.JPG
    !BykG91QBmk~$(KGrHqR,!jYEw45yVZQTBMSP68kTm!~~_3.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 17
That looks like the one. I havent had the time to machine a faceplate to make sure it all fits correctly. Once I do though, I'llmake it available on my shapeways account.

Hello

If you want something injection molded or CNC'ed try Proto Labs
Well respected on-line service and can give you a quote rapidly
I compared them to a few other places and their prices were superior.

http://www.protolabs.com/?awk=true

If you want a 3d printed version of your faceplate drop me a line-happy to give it a go for you

Cheers
Mac

I've tried it out and it seems to work as expected, but I still don't like how far back the meter face is recessed into the opening, since this just goes over the front of the meter. I'm considering redesigning this so it actually replaces the meter's front instead of just covering it.

Awesome work Gemini!
You know I was seriously thinking about this over the last few days, perhaps with cnc and alluminium!
The concern was the same as you... I have 50 of these meters, I was actually thinking of cutting the face off the front, down to at least the clear plastic!
Did you think you could do your cover without having to cut this meter down? It's trick isn't it!
I'm excited about this!
The tr-35 could actually look cool! Haha!

The cheap meters that I have (the generic ones from all over ebay) actually come apart without cutting. The trick is to pop it apart without breaking the needle adjustment, as it is very delicate. I think for this project, aluminum is overkill.

The other thing that could be done while you have the meter open is install a germanium bridge rectifier, since these cheap meters are DC meters, not AC meters.

I think I know where you are talking about, right at the join on the square part of the plastic, the plastic moulding seams? I haven't tried this yet... but yes this would be an awesome spot to implement a new sexy face for this meter!
Let me know how you go, i got 50 that need new faces LOL!
Thanks so much for updates Rodney!
G

Latest posts

Back