Tried and tested curry recipes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Republican vs Democrat?

Brexit vs no Brexit?

No thanks mate! I'll have some delicious chana masala instead"

Culinary politics fair game? Keep it spicy.

One might curry favor with me by explaining the following: spoon-feed me the primary ingredients that disgunish Yellow, Red and Green curry from each other. Can you make flavor oils of any of these for quick cooking later?

Thank you!

hi Boji,

I cant give you the full list of differences in terms of Red,Green, Yellow  ,the yellow is the nutty satay style one , coconut milk is common to all too .

I use a paste called 'Blue Dragon' , not sure if that brand is available stateside . Tin of cocunut milk and maybe quarter to half a jar of said paste ,and the meat or veg ,its really as simple as that , if I want more the yellow curry style adding a  spoon or two of peanut butter and some crushed roasted peanuts give the sauce great body . I think the main difference between green and red is red vs green chilli . I think the red has tomatoe in it too

Any Asian supermarket should have some variety of Thai paste , not sure how common Asian food stores will be in your neck of the woods ,so it might involve a trip to the city or something like that .
Fish sauce is the another key ingredient ,its more or less used as seasoning along with soy sauce ,end of day the pastes have the seasoning added already ,but its handy to have the fish sauce to hand as a seasoning adjuster . Tinned salted anchovies ,like you get on a pizza are a great substitute for fish sauce ,in the final taste test you dont notice the fishy element ,its subtle and in the backround . So for starters ,a jar of good green paste and tins of coconut milk are the only special ingredients you need ,Id imagine almost every house there has peanuts and peanut butter , so you have the ingredients for two out of three Thai styles in that lot  . Oh one more thing ,as Leut.Colombo used say ,if you like the idea of fruity and slightly more sweetness in your Thai curry ,you could try adding mashed ripe mango , Your dinner guests will be singing your praise all around town Im sure ,let us know how you get on.

Attachments

• Thai 2.jpeg
    Thai 2.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2
One thing I forgot to mention completely ,
Fresh grown herbs from the garden , in supermarkets here now its common to find little plant pots with fresh herbs grown from seed , its really a great easy way to get a herb garden going at home ,if you have good climate or a greenhouse in colder places you can have just picked herbs to add to your favourite dishes all year round.Even though were not quite on the same level as the Asians and Indians in terms of medecinal herbs ,common things like thyme rosemary marjoram bay leaf basil contain powerfull oils ,with excellent healing and antibacterial properties ,as anyone who grows their own food will know theres a spritual benefit as well as a  satisfaction in taking the time to 'grow your own' ,the rewards in terms of flavour will have your taste buds buzzing your brain with little 'nom nom' messages  :)

Something like fresh basil is one of the most unbelieveable things for me ,the plant itself buds and flowers later in the growth phase, as it goes towards flowering the aroma's increase in intensity ,a few simple ingredients like pine nuts ,garlic salt /pepper olive oil ,pecorino ,padano or parmesan and heaps of fresh basil and you've got a pesto that will blow almost any kind of jar bought stuff off the shelf . Serve it up 'al rustico' with some crusty bread slices toasted up on the char grill or pan ,splash of wine to wash it down your in heaven . I have to admit I find the sight of women getting stuck into good food with their hands irresistable , the ooohhhh's, the Mmmmmmm's, the ahhhhh's and the finger licking thats goes along too, its a good enough reason for all us guys to improve our culinary skills in my opinion ,the other thing is ,you carefully take the time to prepare something from the best you possibly can ,and she's impressed with the taste ,she's definately going to be wondering how all that care and attention to detail translates to the bedroom. ;)    Cheasy whiz and crackers just isnt in the same league at all at all .

"how all that care and attention to detail translates to the bedroom. ;)"
Haha, I hope your ponderings have/will come true for u.

"Cheasy whiz and crackers just isnt in the same league at all at all ."I see what you did there.  :-*

Thanks for the advice, all of it!

Tried and tested methodology Boji my friend ,
ever hear the saying ,'The way to a womans heart is through her stomach'.
Gotta get my mojo engine fireing on all cylynders again soon ,theres always a few pretty ladies on my radar  ,again though
like the old saying says ,'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' .  ;)

Whoooaaaa ahaah, sounds the tread derailment alarm,
Vajazzling I think is the correct terminology for that styley thing down low ,cant say Ive ever witnessed it in the flesh myself ,but you never know what surprises the ladies have in store these days ,

Maybe a foody vajazzle would be the way to go ,kill two birds with the one stone as the man said  ;D

Latest posts

Back