Complete NOOB question - testing power circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morls

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help...I'm putting together my first project, a Hairball 1176 Rev. D, and have a question regarding testing the power circuit.

I've stuffed all the components and wired the PCB to the IEC connector, checked and double-checked the grounding and transformer wiring, but when I test the power rails out of the secondary I get no DC readings at all. My question is:

Do I need to plug the unit into the mains? I'm in Australia (240V AC). I'm not in a rush to fry myself, but it seems hard to test the power rails without running power through the circuit.

I'm going to take the unit to an electronics repairman to check over everything before I plug into mains power. I just want to know whether the 0V DC readings I'm getting without the unit plugged in are correct, and not a sign that I have wired things incorrectly.

Thanks

Stephen

morls said:
Do I need to plug the unit into the mains? I'm in Australia (240V AC). I'm not in a rush to fry myself, but it seems hard to test the power rails without running power through the circuit.
To test the voltage it needs to have power.

morls said:
I'm going to take the unit to an electronics repairman to check over everything before I plug into mains power. I just want to know whether the 0V DC readings I'm getting without the unit plugged in are correct, and not a sign that I have wired things incorrectly.
Stephen, without power you will read 0V DC. That is fine and normal.
However, go to the electronics repairman, let him check, and let HIM power it up first!
Wise decision you did here.

??? Mnats has a pretty good wiring page for instructions on the 1176. No offense but maybe look into a basic electronic course or watch some youtube videos so you can understand the fundamentals a bit better.

Back