M49 / M50 Bodies - All British Made - Vintage

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencerleehorton

White Market Thread

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=53007.0

Hi All,

I wanted to build a M49/M50 body with in my mind some improvements from the original, at the worst they are variations on a theme.
My ethos is to source locally here in the UK (Suffolk) and to have a really good product that is going to last and be strong and good value for money (those most important part most of the time!!!  :) )

the variations i wanted from the original are the following:

Screw in base to body
2 layer mesh
45º angle of mesh (makes it much stronger)
best brass quality (not cheap Chinese brass)
connector to be somewhat universal (be able to use different connectors)
Nickel Plated finish to give a great vintage look

here are some pictures of my journey

Attachments

• m49 front.jpg
    m49 front.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 223
Hi Everyone,

little update, i am building the last jig to finish this run then early next week i will be nickel plating them, so all being well they should be all done end of next week.
Sorry for being a little bit behind but i really wanted to get this all perfect.
will post pics as soon as im done.

regards

Spence.

Hi Everyone,

Another little update on the nickel plating, have just finished doing some initial testing and all came out nice.
Very nice vintage nickel look.
New jig nearly sorted for finishing the bodies, should be all systems go end of next week. :)
Hopefully when everyone sees these they will want to buy some.

regards

Spence.

These look incredible! I'm sorry no one else has responded yet, but clearly the craftsmanship and attention to detail are stellar!

If I wasn't already up top my ears in other DIY I might be tempted!

Hope you sell a ton. These look great!~

Hi All,

Here is a little update on where im at, Have done first part of nickel plating and ready to finish up final layers,  then give them a good clean up and ship them out to Pasarski and Steph.b.

regards

Spence.

Attachments

• 4 x m49 top 2.jpg
    4 x m49 top 2.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 175
Hi Everyone,

Very nearly finished with the nickel plating now, there are a few that need going over again and re polishing but im pretty happy with soon of these ones, really look vintage and from the right era.
After nickel plating I polish them up with a brass wire fitting and it makes them really come up nice, then i polish up with 2 types of metal polish to get the correct look.
The end is in sight now!!!, see what you think.

regards

Spence.

Attachments

• nickel plate 1.jpg
    nickel plate 1.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 94
Back