diy inline pad?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

what all is in those shure pads? is it just a t attenuator or something? i was thinking i should jsut get some switchcraft xlr barrels and make my own pads.

correct

The Shure is a neat little package with the dip switch arrangement but nothing you can't knock up yourself

a variant is soon to be a Factory project
:green:

I've been thinking of these too. Is there an existing, nice solution for a solid metal tube with XLR's at each end or are we off to DIY again?

Switchcraft has something cool looking, but it may be either too small and/or expensive and/or hard to get (at least here).

So what I did (to house a few other small circuits) was to get a short metal tube (alu, mat finish), inserted a male and one female XLR and drilled holes in the tube to be able to fasten the XLRs to to tube (using the set-screws of the XLRs themselves). The conic Switchcraft XLRs work nice here, they will fit better than Neutrik ones I think (though I haven't tried these).

If you need just a little circuit like a 3 resistor pad there's also the trick as described here before (SSLtech ? CJ ?) to join two 'older style' XLRs with their rubber grommets/things removed. But that won't be suited here, with that arrangement you won't be able to fit any switches (unless they're real small).

The tube-thing just works and doesn't let you look for hard to find parts and can be made to look decent.

Bye,

Peter

Being a cheapie I tend to make my pads inside XLR or 1/4" cable ends and end up with short cable/pads - I really don't like long barrel connectors like the shures hanging off my gear.

switchcraft makes xlr barrels. http://www.mwsound.com/commerce/ItemView.cfm?INV_ID=3989

theyre 18 bucks, but thats still a bunch cheaper than the shures.

Neutrik also makes a nice looking barrel:

http://www.neutrik.com/content/products/products_entry.asp?productid=210_76161&sublevelid=204_123821

I just ordered 5 of them to make some simple 20dB U pads.

Kev,

Do you happen to know when we could see this showing up @ the DIY-factory?

Cheers,
Tony

Back