SoundSkulptor CP5176 Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericbazaar

Hi,

I have buy and build this 1176Style Comp for the 500 Format. My Problem is, the Comp has too much Noise (for me). But the Comp works normal and sounds really good. First, i use no Lunchbox, i have a SM-Pro Juice Block 3. Soundskulptor write in his Setup Guide the CP5176 requires a voltage around +15,3 and -15,3V. I measure on the Test Points +14,47V and -14.07V. Is this a Problem for the operation? I find the Comp have a high Noise Level. Is the output knob in center position, is an audible noise on the audio signal. Is this normal? Have anyone out there build this Compressor?

Thanks for Help and sorry for my English:)

Greets

I'm sure JPK will be able to comment.  Try dropping him an email. [email protected]

All the SS stuff I've used has always sounded GREAT so I'm surprised that it would be normal for this to be so noisy.

Sorry I can't help much more than that!

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your Answer! I have mailed Soundskulptor, he answered yesterday! Jean-Pierre think it is the low voltage from the Juice block. He is currently on vacation:)! I worked two days with it and think it's gotten better. He told me to exchange Resistor R63 from 2k2 to 2k4. The Resistor comes tomorrow. This compressor sounds just fantastic, I know otherwise just plugins. The HPF Knob and the Distortion Knob are Fantastic. No comparison to plugins!!

ericbazaar

Hello
I have the same problem.
But with lunchbox api.
All voltage looks good.
Sound really good but big noise at 5 to end in the out pot.
Have find a solution?

I m waiting the answer of Jp.
Best.
Jf

We have solved the problem! The compressor is now as quiet as it can be.
It was coming from a noisy voltage regulator.
All the people who purchased a kit should have received a message describing the mods to do. The extra components are on their way, in the mail.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Jap :D

Got Mail and have everything rebuilt!Is quieter than a grave ;D! Really nice Compressor!

Thanks for this…

Best

Hi !

I would like to comment on this with my Lindell Audio 7x-500 compressor.

I am having some noise too between 5 and 10 with the output knob.
It is not a DIY kit but i am thinking if something similar is happening or is the FET style compressor known to be noisy?

I hope someone can help.
M

Hi guys, It appears to me that by linking two 5176s only the input and output pots are linked, while ratio, attack and release pots remain unlinked. Is this intended to be or did i build something wrong? thanks

Back