Whistle Rock Audio 312 Preamps - Finished w/ Pics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Franklin

Thought I'd share my latest DIY exploit...

Just finished up this 4-channel API style mic pre set using PCB's from Whistle Rock Audio. Transformers are the Ed Anderson vintage recreations from Classic API. Op-amps are the GAR2520 kit from the same place. Knobs from CAPI also. Used an Altronics case and had the front panel laser marked.

Altronics toroidal coupled with a JLM Audio (thanks Joe!) powerstation is taking care of the juice.

They sound really good, as you would expect with all that iron and discrete op-amps. Some friends at work and I did a thorough comparison to the preamps in our SSL Duality and to be honest it's really splitting hairs on most sound sources. I don't know if I buy in to preamps making that much difference once you get to a certain level of quality. Needless to say I won't hesitate to use them on anything! Very happy.

Enjoy.

2vcdl3r.jpg

20a6gdt.jpg

2nszk.jpg

238h8z.jpg

i5ogt4.jpg

2zzmckj.jpg

looks great.  I've been thinking of building the same project. 

is there a reason you chose a JLM PSU instead of the one offered by Whistle Rock?

Hi Matt,

A couple of reasons:

a) Joe at JLM is a great guy and I like to support Australian companies when I can

b) It comes as a parts kit, rather than just a circuit board so it saves a little time hunting down the bits!

Thanks,

Nick

Matt C said:
looks great.  I've been thinking of building the same project. 

is there a reason you chose a JLM PSU instead of the one offered by Whistle Rock?

Hi Nick

Really nice job. In relation to the case, will Altronics punch the required holes for you in the case?

Where did you but your front panel from?

And what is the ball park price for these pre amps per channel.

Cheers
Jon

Nick,

Can I ask who did the laser etch for the front panel, and the cost?  PM me if you prefer.

Cheers, Paul

Latest posts

Back