Too Hot To DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

We are having a heatwave in the UK. For several days I have been itching to complete the power supply of my latest 4 into 2 mixer but I cannot stand the thought of drilling and and soldering in this heat.

Phew!!

Cheers

Ian

It's been about 2 weeks non stop sunshine in Lancaster, which is grand. 

It should start to get a bit rainy next week, but the temperatures will remain in the 20's...so it will be very muggy - even worse!

Worst thing about hot weather on a night is whether or not to leave the windows open through the evening and risk moths coming in...ever since being stuck in a french toilet as a boy with a moth the size of a small bird, I can't stand the little beggars...

ramshackles said:
It's been about 2 weeks non stop sunshine in Lancaster, which is grand. 

It should start to get a bit rainy next week, but the temperatures will remain in the 20's...so it will be very muggy - even worse!

Worst thing about hot weather on a night is whether or not to leave the windows open through the evening and risk moths coming in...ever since being stuck in a french toilet as a boy with a moth the size of a small bird, I can't stand the little beggars...

My wife is the same. Last night I had to  drive one out our bedroom and lock it in the spare room.

Cheers

Ian

it's been low 20's C here , nice weather but Summer is short as it is , and they stop advertising , stocking or selling
summer stuff by the end of July so , it gives you [ conditions you ] the feeling summer is over

Yeah, here in the north of The Netherlands it's hot too... Even picking up a soldering iron is almost too much effort..

We had a heat wave too, for weeks... but this evening it is down to 61F (16C)!  Feels great!

> risk moths coming in...

What kind of backward place is that??

In the US you almost can't buy an openable window without a nifty invention: Window Screen.

True, we need it. Letting the dog out lets in three moths and a horse fly.

And to put the lie to my claim-- I did get windows without window-screens. Turns out there's three different grades of screen and the salesman was supposed to up-sell me to the extra-clear, not let me go un-sold.

Your heat-wave was our heat-wave and I was moving a ton of dirt (over half a cubic yard) into a low spot. Heavy DIY. After a summer of related low/wet-spot ditching and filling, the flies are less.

Let's not even go into whether Maine or Jersey (NJ USA) mosquitos are bigger. Or tastier.

Where I am is wintter, over 20C past week, this week less than 10C and around 0C at night, next week over 20C again... But here in summer we wait up to 40ºC... Usually over 90% humidity, strange to see it less than 80%.

But we see the sun 250 or 300 days/year, this february thogh rained 30 days... :S 
In april 400mm in 3hs where I live, Luky me I wasn't there that day but wasn't funny for a lot off people.

JS

Yea its been a rough couple of weeks here in NJ with the heat.  I was sweating when I was power-washing.  My above ground pool was 90 degrees.  The bugs are just horrible this year!!!!!!!!!!  Misquotes and flies that bite just suck!!!!!!!!

PRR said:
> risk moths coming in...

What kind of backward place is that??

In the US you almost can't buy an openable window without a nifty invention: Window Screen.

True, we need it. Letting the dog out lets in three moths and a horse fly.

And to put the lie to my claim-- I did get windows without window-screens. Turns out there's three different grades of screen and the salesman was supposed to up-sell me to the extra-clear, not let me go un-sold.

Your heat-wave was our heat-wave and I was moving a ton of dirt (over half a cubic yard) into a low spot. Heavy DIY. After a summer of related low/wet-spot ditching and filling, the flies are less.

Let's not even go into whether Maine or Jersey (NJ USA) mosquitos are bigger. Or tastier.

Ha! I've never seen a window with a window screen in the UK! Of course, usually opening windows would just let the rain in..

Meh ... hot is good for making those ratnest uglies that fall apart if you touch them ...

Like sculptures ... you know, being a little "artistic" .. eek

Hmm otoh it's been a loong time since I made a fuzzface..

I honestly don't understand what's going on. I'm from Portugal in an area where a normal summer has temperatures raging 35-37ºC.
a "hot" summer or "heatwave" would mean crossing the 40ºC threshold.

But this year in UK, these mere 30ºC have caused me migraines, light headiness, loss of balance and just plain simple not being able to work.
Not sure if humidity, london, or the pollen, or a combination of the 3, but it is thruly unbearable :S

Cant stand it either!

Its my first hot summer in Copenhagen, and even thought Ive always preferred hanging out in the shade with something cool to drink, I don't remember it being this rough.

Gustav

It's never fun to fire up the hot air station this time of the year...

It's not as hot here as summer max (yet), but pretty humid which makes it feel uncomfortable.

JR

too hot? wtf?? its only warming up man! we'll talk again when the temp reaches 45'C
and being scared by moths?! man u pommies are sad.
it reminds me of a six foot four scotsman i knew who was chased around by a butterly one sad day..

Bring it on.

I am a reptile. I love heat.

I am in Istanbul at the moment. Baking hot and I have just modded a Blues Junior for a friend. I am off to the islands over the weekend. Will be nice and breezy. However, my eldest sister lectures in an Eastern Turkish city Batman. 47 degrees C.

Latest posts

Back