Doing something a little different... Producing/Engineering in Swaziland

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mylesgm

Hello all,
Some of you might have seen a few odd questions for me in the last 12 months and I have had a pretty fascinating journey (for me anyway) so I thought I'd share it with the community.

I've been working in a volunteer capacity in an NGO in Swaziland southern Africa building a new studio, doing radio production, training locals and making music.  Not only has it been quite a ride volunteering is something that I would recommend to almost everyone. 

Anyway, check out my blog over here:  www.mylesinswaziland.tumblr.com

or check out some of the projects I've done here:  www.lubombocommunityradio.bandcamp.com  or www.gonerural.bandcamp.com

Thanks for the support form the community!

M

Amazing stuff! Photos look great! I'm jealous now...  :)

Can't listen to the audio right now but will do so later...

Very interesting - thanks for sharing!

Someone those locations (thatched roof house for example) look challenging for a radio broadcast!

The recording in the thatched hut is the one featured in the lubombo radio fundraiser.  The main part that was difficult (acoustically anyway) was the round concrete walls, the thatch actually helped a lot as it both scattered and absorbed sound.  The main difficulty though was the copious amounts of ganja drying on the walls...

The studio we've built is constantly booked at the moment (I only have 6 weeks left) and it is sounding great!  Only 8 channels of recording at once makes for some clever engineering but pretty pleased with how things are turning out and the artists are loving it...

My final project in Swaziland is this album "Sitawuphumelela - Songs of Hope". An album I'm incredibly proud of featuring a fantastic group of Swazi artists creating art that addresses social issues and raises funds for the work of Lusweti. Recorded in our new studio funded by the Australian High Commission to Southern Africa and by NERCHA with support from Federal Audio and Prosound.  Sitawuphumelela means we will overcome and with this album these artists are encouraging their fellow Swazis to overcome their social issues with positive behaviour change.

please check out the album here:
http://lusweti.bandcamp.com/album/sitawuphumelela-songs-of-hope

The music on this album is a variety featuring hiphop and country, alongside world fusion and afrojazz in both English and Siswati.  A bargain at $10us I hope you'll join us in supporting positive social change in Swaziland!

And of course a big thank you to all those who've supported the other project I put up on Bandcamp, the Lubombo Community Radio Fundraiser which has raised over $550us for the first community radio network in Swaziland!

Latest posts

Back