HELP! my audio interface is obsolete

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerobi

I have recently upgraded to OSX 10.8.4 Mountain Lion, which is a purely 64bit OS. Therefore my Tascam US-428 is now obsolete.
Not because the hardware is faulty, but because Tascam will not write a driver to support the 64bit environment. That's a whole nother gripe.
Ok staying on task.... I record mostly guitar at home straight into the interface. The US-428 has as guitar switch with an input impedance of 680k ohms.
I loved the sound I get from an American Standard Strat (94) to the US-428 then to Logic X and other VST's.
Don't get me wrong I have a nice tube amp (fender blues deluxe)  and a SM57.
I love analogue sound as-well, but keeping up with modern sounds I tend to be able to scroll and tweak a lot faster than experimenting and buying multiple pedals.
My question is most new audio interfaces with a guitar input has an impedance of 1 or 2M ohms. Does this make a difference?
Do I get a different or better tone from a 680k ohm input than a 1M ohm? And here's the long shot. Will anyone write a driver for the US-428 for a 64bit OSX?
Please help, thanks.

J

http://www.youtube.com/jerobi

The difference between a 680k input and a 1M input is going to be fairly negligible in my experience. It's possible the 680k is meant to more closely match the output impedance of an electric guitar, but you should experience much of a problem...

If you're looking for a replacement interface, I think the PreSonus FireStudio is a pretty good solution. Not too expensive too if you're willing to go used.  8)

Not to hi-Jack your topic, but I just switched over to to new Mac Mini, OSX 10.8.4 Mountain Lion, 
and I am looking for a new interface. Maybe 12-16 input, no mic pres (I've got a ton of them).

Hey thanks for the reply. You put my mind at ease. I think I would rather get a USB interface so I could also gig with the set up. I feel I'm gonna need a Motu Zbox to deal with the impedance problem to the amp or just Di to the PA. I'm not sure yet I gotta figure everything out for now I will stick with my Line 6 M9 and my fender deluxe. Also I am going to get the Sonuus i2m, Gonna mess with the midi stuff and for the time being seems like it will solve my interface/impedance problem. Plus I've been wanting to control Omnisphere with my guitar ...... should be fun.

Thanks Again

J

Latest posts

Back