Newbie with crazy idea

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jamesson said:
Am I incorrect in my assumption that people use analog effects with live consoles?

No, you are not, but I think I was clear when I said it's not all too common. At most, an FOH guy will bring in a chain of things for the money channel.  I mean, I don't patch anything analog into a digital desk.

And again, all of the pro desks (meaning not Behringer, not PreSonus) have analog (DAC) outputs and inputs (ADC) which can be routed for use as an insert on the desired channels and groups.

-a

jamesson said:
Its simple, really. I want to put one of these http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/xlogic%20x-patch/ right on the backplane of a 51x series rack and give it access to all the modules. Now this adds an additional a/d stage but surely the problems this creates are solvable?

The SSL piece is an analog cross-point switch. Forgetting for the moment any of SSL's hyperbole ("SuperAnalogue"), a cross-point switch is conceptually easy but the devil is in the details.

So how does this require ADCs and DACs and the 51x backplane?

I honestly think that if your actual intention is to be able to use 51x analog kit with a digital console, you should just choose the analog console with the routing and the I/O resources you need, and build or buy a multiline analog snake that patches between the console's I/O ports and the 51x rack unit. Do all of the soft patching required inside the console.

You don't need to build anything.

Or have I misinterpreted your needs?

-a

Dont know why this didnt get posted.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1X6B4iJmKLYhx71yYitbhM6hw5DBS0ApMXvrCKD5O2cU/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks again to everyone for everything

Joe

EDIT: Somebody told me there are headers for ribbon cables on the backplane, so we dont need to modify it. I will update the image to reflect this shortly.

EDIT 2

Updated to reflect available ribbon/db25 headers. Thanks to bruce0 for letting me know about them.

Joe,

Unfortunately that's still very unclear but if I'm understanding you correctly you are proposing a matrix that can route signals anywhere that's connected exclusively between a 500 series rack and an audio interface of your own design.

The SSL matrix has been a commercial failure  despite the hardware as plug ins hoopla, the reality is that we use hardware differently. 

I also don't want your interface, I want my interface.  I use a Prism Orpheus for my small location work, can you beat their conversion (hint - not easy).  My buddy uses a UA Apollo. He doesn't want your interface either because he is tied to his cool UA plug ins.

By limiting yourself to 500 series you are excluding a lot of potential buyers and builders who don't use 500 series, like me for example.

Finally making an audio interface is a huge and ongoing commitment.  Can you promise me driver support for Windows 9 and OSXI in 5 years?  Tested for stability on all platforms?  If not you will have lots of unhappy customers.

Send me a PM when you get a chance.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Latest posts

Back