"The Evil Twin" DI?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plexibreath

I've heard a lot of good things about this DI called "The Evil Twin", I also heard they are not made anymore so I can't go out and buy one. Sounds like a DIY challenge. Anyone know anything about the circuit? I heard it basicly was the preamp from a tweed Fender Twin, anyone know if this is true?
Kelley

I have an Evil Twin and it is awesome. You can put a JT-115ke transformer in front of it and it makes a great mic pre. I spoke to Bruce about 2 months ago about that. I also found out he has gone trough a few surguries and has been out of the loop for a while. You can call hm at 413-581-6767. The DI is highly regulated, well shielded and built very clean. If he has stopped making them, maybe it is time to reverse it.

-BH

Yeah...bass and mono synth. It does not like my upright bass p/u so I have a USIB by Raven Labs and use the ET to get it to line level. I am borrowing some Neve 33115 EQs that help compliment the ET. It is also great with dynamic mics. I really want to try it on vox with an sm-7. It is amazing with an SM-57(!).

Speaking of which (OT) I just heard a conversation about Andy Johns renting 40 SM-57s and going through them all to select 4. He was looking for American models with a specific lettering and discarding the rest. "Bring me all of your 57s" "We have about 40..." "Good."

-Head

[quote author="babyhead"]

Speaking of which (OT) I just heard a conversation about Andy Johns renting 40 SM-57s and going through them all to select 4. He was looking for American models with a specific lettering and discarding the rest. "Bring me all of your 57s" "We have about 40..." "Good."

[/quote]

continued proof that youo shouldnt be drinking at work...

dave

Just to set the record straight...

The circuitry in the Evil Twin bears no resemblence whatsoever to that of the Fender Twin.

I am in full production mode again, and anyone wanting more info can email me directly.

And finally, I will be a *very* unhappy guy if people reverse engineer my work, and then post the results.

bruce seifried
[email protected]

Bruce;

We have an unwritten rule around here that we do not
post reverse engineered documents of current production
equipment. Because it is not cool and it takes food out of mouth's
like yours.

Welcome Bruce,

and yeah ... wot adrianh sed ... :thumb:

[quote author="bruce seifried"] ... I am in full production mode again, and anyone wanting more info can email me directly.[/quote]

take him up on his offer
respect the fact that he is in production and trying to earn a quid.
keep you circuit swapping to private swaps

see if you talk Bruce into doing a DIY project of one of his short form designs

The JLM Audio connection has been excellent and the benefits flow both ways.

I am solidly with Adrian and Kev on this one. Let's not take someone's bread and butter away, especially since he's had the grace to show up and post at least once. If we're nice, maybe he'll come back and be willing to contribute to our community. Now wouldn't THAT be cool as all heck? Much cooler than being able to make knockoffs of his DI, I'd wager.

Hrm... I'm about to step on another soapbox here, so please bear with me. (I think you're rubbing off on me, Kev.) :green:

While what I said in my previous post is what I personally think of this issue, I do want to point out that I don't feel Plexi and Babyhead, both respected members of this community, to feel bad about the reversing suggestion.

[quote author="babyhead"]If he has stopped making them, maybe it is time to reverse it.[/quote]

He clearly said "if" in that post. Since it is now clear that production of these units is back into full swing, let us take Babyhead at his word.

I just feel we should be able to come away from this with all dignities intact.

End rant. :wink:

Judging by the age of this thread, *IF* these guys did reverse the ckt., they didn't post their findings here it seems.

As Kev has said before, healthy discussion of a ckt. should cause no harm. Can we get a discussion of what makes this piece sound so pleasing? Maybe just a simple rundown of the topology, Mr. Seifried? The ET has long had a great rep...

Charlie

Look...my intention is not to make this personal. Babyhead and Plexi had nice things to say afterall, and I do understand the word "if". Which is why I wrote to make it clear that I am still building these boxes, and I wasn't about to let the "reverse engineer" idea dangle in space unanswered. Although I'm a pretty generous guy with my time and knowledge, this is my livelihood we're talking about, so don't expect me to go into alot of detail about how I do what I do. I feel that anything other than that would be marketing on my part, which I'm not here to do.

I'll be glad to contribute to other threads when I can.

bruce seifried
eclair engineering

Please accept my apologies for my post. I failed to look at the age of the thread initially, and I went off a little half-cocked. I just didn't want to see this turn into any ill feelings, and now I'm afraid I'm the one who caused them instead.

[quote author="babyhead"]

continued proof that youo shouldnt be drinking at work...

dave
[/QUOTE]
lol
where i was working we got a deal with Shure and bought 15x Sm57 to lent/ adverstise at a music festival and when they came back after the 5 days i tried them and bought the 2 best ones, actually 3 sounded good. The rest... not so much. They all sounded different to me :)

It seems a bit funny that a thread resurrects after 15 years but that’s just a proof that threads and info around here are valuable for future readers.
Ive seen examples of threads that after 10 years keep involving and new info is posted which improves the initial post.

well done groupdiy or should I say “Prodigy Pro”?

Back