Vintage AKG C12 - plastic rings

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ln76d

Does anyone knows what is material of plastic rings from the inside of C12 body? Polycarbonate or plexiglass or...? Eventually what thicknes of it can be?

Attachments

• c12.jpg
    c12.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 47
Sinsay787 said:
I think they are .093 3/16 I used plexiglass before

Realy thanks for help!
How this be in milimeters? 3/16(inch - i'm guessing) is almost 5mm - thickness, but what means 0.093?
Sorry, but i'm not using imperial metric system :D

micaddict said:
FWIW, the Ela M has a whole plastic frame inside and it's a plastic that degrades and crumbles over time.

ElaM had completely different mounting system, plastic is main structure without any metal frame - only with all around plastic housing.

ln76d said:
Sinsay787 said:
I think they are .093 3/16 I used plexiglass before

Realy thanks for help!
How this be in milimeters? 3/16(inch - i'm guessing) is almost 5mm - thickness, but what means 0.093?
Sorry, but i'm not using imperial metric system :D

3/32 = 0.09375

!

ln76d said:
micaddict said:
FWIW, the Ela M has a whole plastic frame inside and it's a plastic that degrades and crumbles over time.

ElaM had completely different mounting system, plastic is main structure without any metal frame - only with all around plastic housing.

Yep, that's what I said; a whole plastic frame.
Question is, is it the same material as the discs in the C12?

I've been looking into this myself and it seems the first C12 came out in 1953 and polycarbonate was invented in the same year .Plexiglas(acrylic-Poly(methyl methacrylate) had been around since 1928 and was released on the market in 1933 according to wiki that is ;).
I'd say(at a guess) it was most likely 3-4mm Plexiglas(acrylic-Poly(methyl methacrylate) because of the time frame and considering R&D of the mic would have been happening prior to1953....

Latest posts

Back