+48v and phase reverse switch wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksure

This is probably a pretty basic question...but I'd like some help  on how to wire up +48v switches and a phase reverse switches for microphone preamps.

I have two old WBS preamps that I am racking up and they don't have either phantom or phase flip switches, so I need to add them seperately to the rack (one for each channel). The power supply I have has a +48v rail as well as the + and - rails. When I have racked preamps in the past I have used JLM Go-Between kits to supply phantom, phase and pad switches, and I may do it that way again, but I thought it might be a cheaper and quicker option to do it with off the shelf parts instead. So if anyone can explain to me in simple terms how to do this, that would be great. I'm not very good at following circuit diagrams, and I work best from simple layman's pictures and explanations..........so the more basic the explanation the better it would be for me. Thanks.

Often phase reverse is placed *after* the preamp so that it does not make a pop when switched.  Simply wire up a DPDT switch as shown.  In one position the In+ and In- go straight to the output, in the other, they are reversed.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 26
I'm finishing dual 1108 preamp. I put phase swith on dpdt (as on the drawing) at the input, it goes to the dpdt impedance switch then to the input transformer. Switching is pretty quiet.
My idea of phantom voltage is run it from psu to the switch then to the xlr input socket with independent cable.
I want to use RG174a/u 50ohm 26AWG coaxial cable, because i have it.

It goes like this:
PSU: (+) -> cable wire, (-) and cable shield -> star ground
Switch: 47uF capacitor, 100ohm resistor (typical circuit) - common ground is grounded by the shield to the star ground
XLR: two 6,8kohm resistors connected with one wire and the shield is only connected from one side - to the switch common gorund

Does anyone have any objections about connections or gauge of the wire?
I hope my description is understandable :)

Thanks for the replies. The little picture was great. I tend to draw things on paper before I build it to make sure I understand. Even though I have successfully racked up a few previous projects, my electronics knowledge is still only pretty basic.
I will put the flip switch before the preamps. The pop can be annoying when switching but I am used to muting the channel when doing this so it's no big deal.
I need to look carefully at the +48v description and try to get my head round what you say there.

Latest posts

Back