Catalogue Quirks

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I just purchased an IEC fused and switched mains inlet by Schurter from Farnell in the UK, Farnell part #1430797. When it arrived this morning it had no fuse drawer. To cut a long story short, after spending a long time on the phone talking to the technical dept, and finally customer services, I have to pay an additional £1.72 for the fuse drawer. There is nowhere on the web page where it says you have to order this separately and although they say the Schurter data sheet makes this clear, the data sheet link does not work. The irony is, I have bought similar products by other manufacturers, like Schaffner, from Farnell and they all include the fuse draw.

I am sure there are plenty of other examples of catalogue quirks like this.

Cheers

Ian

Same thing happened to me (IEC connector received with no drawer).
But Farnell sent me another one for free (maybe it was from another manufacturer)

One another side, it can be convenient to order the drawer alone in case you loose it

edit:
£1.72 just for the drawer ? ouch!

keefaz said:
Same thing happened to me (IEC connector received with no drawer).
But Farnell sent me another one for free (maybe it was from another manufacturer)

One another side, it can be convenient to order the drawer alone in case you loose it

I can understand it being avaialable separately so you can buy a spare one but not including it with the main product is just plain silly.

Cheers

Ian

That is just stupid.

Recently I ordered some jack plugs and received only the washers.... but that was a mistake!

I would like to se the catalog guys simple say something like "don't forget to order XYZ" -- I don't mind ordering 2 items to make a complete "system", but I need to know.

/R

The manufacturer probably sells them separately so they can be customized for different markets. The catalog seller probably treats them as different SKUs because that's how their system is set up. They should add a note in their part description, to avoid irritating customers.

JR

I can't remember if I got one from Farnell or RS (90% sure the latter), but I got the same IEC inlet socket and had the same issue... The client was in a hurry, so I went with another part that I could get quickly. There are a few items that fall into the 'parts needed not listed' category. Highly annoying!

On the subject of annoying, while at Peavey we sold a bunch of rack gear with wall wart power supplies and a common complaint was that the customer would drive all the way home with their new XYZ product and not have the PS to make it work.  :-[ We redesigned the product shopping box so the PS nested inside the box to make it harder, but not impossible for customers to be irritated that way..

This was kind of a similar issue as your fuse holder since the rack product was the same for all countries but needed a different wall wart for the different markets. Packing the PS inside was counter productive for manufacturing efficiency and inventory utilization.

Stuff happens.

JR

Latest posts

Back