F-opto compressor finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

I finished my F-Opto:

Stereo F-Opto
Dual output stages (Forssell 992 & 5534) switchable on each
individual LED for the display.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Some questions:

1. calibration? suggestions for better methods.
2. Stereo Link ... seems to be acting a little weird. How is it meant to function?

Thanks to everyone for putting this original "Group-DIY" project together.

-ChuckD

[/img]

Right on Chuck! Looks nice. Calibration...it's a bit tricky but rather simple at the same time. Let me think up a clear way to write it up (at least the way I went about it) and I'll post it here.

How does the discrete side sound vs 5534 in your opinion?

That's a great looking unit !!! Nice Work !!!

I have a pair of boards for myself but haven't even started. I'd love to hear some feedback on the unit when you get it calibrated.

hey chuck!!

I would be really interested in how this unit sounds...

I have already some boards and parts here, but I don't know if I should build it ... so much other diy to do ... (1176, pultec, sontec, etc...)

maybe you can run a short testfile through the opto comp on "heavy" settings, so that you can hear the character of compression...

maybe something simple like this...

http://www.soulset.de/testloop.mp3

thanks,
matthias

Looks cool, I emailed and posted on blackmarket to Tommytones to see if boards were still available- no response :sad:
If there are, PM me please... :grin:

oops, I just saw these last two posts, well, that would also work.
don't really care how I get them, but I'm looking for 2 of these boards.
If not Tommy, than does anyone else have some extras?

If not, is there some PCB artwork to be found. I read it was going to be shared, but have not been able to find it.

I have an old ART ProVLA that I ruined the first time I ever did a mod. I'd love to gut this and replace it with the Fopto.

Thanks
Sleeper

[quote author="tommytones"]Right on Chuck! Looks nice. Calibration...it's a bit tricky but rather simple at the same time. Let me think up a clear way to write it up (at least the way I went about it) and I'll post it here.

How does the discrete side sound vs 5534 in your opinion?[/quote]

Has a Calibration method been posted & where?

I'd hate to complete one & not know how to adjust it :roll:

Kevin

[quote author="Sleeper"]If not, is there some PCB artwork to be found. I read it was going to be shared, but have not been able to find it.[/quote]

I though I had some PDFs at the Factory
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/forsselllimiter/ffosc.htm

[quote author="khstudio"]Has a Calibration method been posted & where? [/quote]
not that I know of ... yet
look to the LA4 manual for some inspiration ... not directly applicable but may give some ideas

see the DIY Factory Data pages
http://www.diyfactory.com/data/LA4_user_manual.pdf

if someone does do a cal write-up please let me know and I'll cross link or add ... whatever you want

and don't forget that Kubi has /had some stuf
BUT
my link on the above page is currently wrong COS Kubi moved

find him now at
http://www.kubarth.com/

I'll try to find time to fix things

Kev,

Your the man :thumb:
Thanks for posting. I could use all the info & help I can get.

I have a pair of the TommyTones/Gustav Rev. 1-C boards... not really sure what the revision 1C is???

I also have some spare Yamaha NE80200 Discretes I was planing on using but wasn't sure if they'd be needed for both spots on the board???
Advise needed!

This is the first project I'm nervous about jumping into for some reason...
still want to though. Maybe the lack of or scattered info... I think I was spoiled from the G-SSL & 1176 projects & the wealth of detailed info.

Kevin :green:

no problem

yes you were spoilt with Jakob's GSSL and since TT and the birth of GroupDIY the project has been popular and so buckets of info and help out there

and ditto to the G1176
but because of the nature of the 1176 there is even more info although a little more varied

The FFOSC was/is a more developmental scratch idea and so far not presented as an end to end kit
Fred didn't want it that way... kit that is

as such you need to drive yourself and DIY it a little more

IF
you want to return favour, and this goes for everyone

when you find new info or can apply a specific idea then post back here or send me or Kubi ... or someone
your text and pictures and ideas so it can posted somewhere - anywhere
obviously the Factory will be very happy to post
especially on this project as I just don't have time to drive and so I am relying on the good will of all.

having said that it is my intention in the future to do the above with JLM-99 or JLM-Hybrids at the I/O and perhaps a T4B to give it a LA3 twist.

Latest posts

Back